Once again, faculty and students of the College of Business and Public Management will provide free tax services to local taxpayers this tax season. Over 30 students and three faculty members are part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, an IRS-sponsored community program that helps low -to- moderate income families and individuals.
“Our students have all been trained and will be supervised by our adjunct faculty—Carolyn Payne, Maria Nieto, and Jose Valdovinos— who are also IRS employees. Students had to pass an exam to participate in this volunteer program,” said La Verne Professor of Accounting Renee Miller. “They will be providing free tax filing services to eligible taxpayers as part of the university’s efforts to help the communities we serve.”
Taxpayers eligible for the free federal and state income tax preparation must have a low-to-moderate income (generally $50,000 and below) and be from surrounding La Verne communities. All IRS-certified La Verne student volunteers will assist with both e-filing and paper filing.
Appointments are strongly encouraged for the VITA program. Free tax services will be available to local, eligible residents from February 9 through April 13, 2013 on Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 pm. Walk-ins are welcome, but will only be served on a first-come, first-serve basis.
All tax preparation services will take place at University of La Verne’s College of Business and Public Management Building at 2036 3rd Street, La Verne, CA 91750. For more information on the VITA program or to make an appointment, please call (909) 593-3511, ext.5980 or email VITA@laverne.edu.
What is VITA?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is an IRS-sponsored community program that helps low to moderate income (generally annual income is no greater than $50,000) families and individuals located in La Verne and surrounding communities.
What is the cost?
All volunteers are IRS certified and will assist with both e-filing and paper filing at no cost to the taxpayer.
Hours (February 9 through April 13, 2013)
Saturdays 9:00 am to 4:00 p.m.
How to make an appointment:
You can make an appointment by calling (909) 593-3511 Ext. 5980 or by emailing us at VITA@laverne.edu
Walk-ins will be accepted on a first-come first serve basis.
What to bring to the first day of your appointment:
- Proof of identity (such as a valid driver’s license or other government issued picture ID)
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement (s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total amount paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number ( the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- Tuition Expenses
- To file taxes electronically for a married couple filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Where is the VITA site located?
University of La Verne
College of Business and Public Management Building
2036 3rd Street, La Verne, CA 91750 (just south of D Street)
(909) 593-3511 Ext. 5980