The Magazine of the University of La Verne

Online Edition

Wendy Lau '98 stays connected to the University of La Verne as an alumnus, a caring donor and a member of the Board of Trustees.

Giving Back

Wendy Lau ’98 says giving to the University of La Verne is a form of thanksgiving, a way to help those in school today, just as she was helped by donors as a student.

• November 26, 2012

From joining a sorority to being active on the debate team, Wendy Lau ‘98 soaked up every opportunity as a student. Having transferred to La Verne as a sophomore from a large public university, she understood the value and benefits of a private school with small teacher-to-student ratios. She also understood the significant cost that came with her decision, and was grateful from the outset for the scholarship support she received which enabled her La Verne experience to be possible.

Now, as an alumna, she continues to take advantage of all La Verne has to offer. She has stayed connected by filling many roles including alumni advisor to her sorority chapter, serving on the Alumni Governing Board and now as a member of the Board of Trustees. “I really did find some of my very best friends at La Verne,” says Lau.  “Being an alumna of La Verne means being a part of the Leo family, and I am grateful for the relationships and connections that has engendered.” And, for her, part of being a Leo alumna includes giving back to La Verne.

“To me, giving back isn’t an option,” she says. “It’s a thank you in response to all the blessings I’ve received.   Because of the people who so graciously donated to the University when I was in college, I was able to defray the cost of my tuition and get a quality education which put me on the path for success.  Therefore, I feel it’s my duty to give back to La Verne to make sure that generations of students after me are afforded the same opportunities to excel and succeed in life.”

She understands what this kind of support means to students. “I know how important my La Verne experience was/is to me, and I know how it has shaped my life for the better.  Knowing that I am helping to afford that opportunity to someone else is a feeling like no other.”

— Story by Susan Barton, for VoiceOnline