The Magazine of the University of La Verne

Online Edition

Wendy Lau '98 stays connected to the University of La Verne as an alumnus, a caring donor and a member of the Board of Trustees.

Giving Back

Wendy Lau ’98 says giving to the University of La Verne is a form of thanksgiving, a way to help those in school today, just as she was helped by donors as a student.

• November 26, 2012

From joining a sorority to being active on the debate team, Wendy Lau ‘98 soaked up every opportunity as a student. Having transferred to La Verne as a sophomore from a large public university, she understood the value and benefits of a private school with small teacher-to-student ratios. She also understood the significant cost that came with her decision, and was grateful from the outset for the scholarship support she received which enabled her La Verne experience to be possible.

Now, as an alumna, she continues to take advantage of all La Verne has to offer. She has stayed connected by filling many roles including alumni advisor to her sorority chapter, serving on the Alumni Governing Board and now as a member of the Board of Trustees. “I really did find some of my very best friends at La Verne,” says Lau.  “Being an alumna of La Verne means being a part of the Leo family, and I am grateful for the relationships and connections that has engendered.” And, for her, part of being a Leo alumna includes giving back to La Verne.

“To me, giving back isn’t an option,” she says. “It’s a thank you in response to all the blessings I’ve received.   Because of the people who so graciously donated to the University when I was in college, I was able to defray the cost of my tuition and get a quality education which put me on the path for success.  Therefore, I feel it’s my duty to give back to La Verne to make sure that generations of students after me are afforded the same opportunities to excel and succeed in life.”

She understands what this kind of support means to students. “I know how important my La Verne experience was/is to me, and I know how it has shaped my life for the better.  Knowing that I am helping to afford that opportunity to someone else is a feeling like no other.”

— Story by Susan Barton, for VoiceOnline

Comments

There are no comments yet. Be the first to comment!

Leave A Comment

SUSTAINABILITY

UNIVERSITY-OF-LA-VERNE

The University of La Verne has become the second seat of higher education in California to join the Billion Dollar Green Challenge — for no other reason than it’s the right thing to do.

COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT

group 02

Brent Baier, recruiting coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the University of La Verne football team, got his lengthly locks buzzed at Roots Salon by Amanda Clarke (owner), Heather Repp and Aggie Paronelli, as part of a charity event to donate hair to an organization that makes hair prostheses for children.

Recent Posts

Welcome Back, Leos!

Students arrived on the University of La Verne campus Monday toting backpacks and hot coffee, some still sleepy-eyed from months of summer relaxation and others raring to go for the first day of t...

Campus Compact Impact

College and university presidents and Campus Compact state coordinators from around the country unite to discuss community partnerships as well as college access and readiness.

Game to Learn

Visitors Gain Knowledge, Experience in Executive Management Certificate Program

Constructive First Year for La Verne Law Dean Gilbert Holmes

When making a point, Gilbert Holmes always leads with his strong suit. Few spend any real time with Holmes, dean of the University of La Verne College of Law, without hearing one of his stories. Wh...

Visiting international business students gather for World Cup party

More than 150 of 300 cultural exchange students from South America, participating in the University of La Verne's Executive Management Certificate Program, attended a World Cup Party hosted by the uni...

Summer 2014 VOICE

Success Oriented La Verne athletes balance their studies, practice, competition and personal lives with impressive results. The Secret to Her Success After receiving a chilling career ultimatum, Zo...

SEND US YOUR OWN LEO LINES!