The Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) promotes student, faculty, and staff success and campus safety at the University of La Verne by identifying individuals who demonstrate behaviors that may be early warning signs of possible disruptive or violent behavior and intervene at the earliest point possible.
BIT focuses on the care of students, faculty and staff who may be in distress. BIT members determine appropriate resources and implement a coordinated response with the goal of providing assistance to the individual while mitigating risk in an effort to keep the La Verne community healthy and safe.
Please go to the Behavior & Wellness Referral Report to submit a report to the Behavioral Intervention Team.
When Should You Make a Report?
Is someone you know:
- experiencing a decline in work and/or academic performance?
- demonstrating disruptive and/or disturbing behavior?
- showing dramatic changes in appearance, behavior, and/or weight?
- having problems at home, with classes and/or work?
- making disturbing comments in conversation, email, letters, social media postings and/or papers?
- sad, anxious and/or experiencing dramatic mood shifts?
- abusing alcohol and/or drugs?
- isolating himself/herself socially?
- acting paranoid and/or suspicious?
- frequently angry and/or easily frustrated?
- struggling with health problems?
These behaviors, especially when more than one is present, may be signs that a student, faculty member or staff member is in distress. There are many resources available at La Verne to help. Your confidential report to La Verne’s Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) can make a difference.
What does BIT need to know?
Providing as much information as possible is essential!
- Student, faculty or staff member’s name and ID number (if known).
- Brief factual description of the incident and/or behavior.
- Direct quotes whenever possible.
- Where and when the incident and/or behavior occurred.
- Names and contact information of witnesses.
- Your name, position, and complete contact information.
- Include all emails and/or other information you have.
- Always save voice recordings, text messages and emails on the device that received them.