Vice Provost for Strategic Initiatives
Professor of Kinesiology
Professor Clocksin received his B.S. in Exercise Sciences from Willamette University (Salem, OR). He received his M.A. in Physical Education from the University of Northern Colorado and his Ph.D. in Exercise and Sports Science from the University of Utah. His research has focused on the role physical activity and sport play in the development of personal and social responsibility, community engaged learning, and adventure education.
Dr. Clocksin has 14 published articles in the leading peer-reviewed journals in his field and routinely presents at national conference in his area of specialty and on topics of student learning and engagement. In 2013 he collaborated with a colleague to publish a textbook Using Sport & Physical Activity to Teach Personal and Social Responsibility. Brian has successfully received nine grants to support his research and enhance the educational experience of students. He was a 2017 recipient of the Spirit of La Verne Award as an Engaged Scholar.
Sample of Publications (peer reviewed)
- Clocksin, B.D. & Greicar, M. (2017) Sustained engagement experience in kinesiology: An engaged department initiative. Kinesiology Review, 6(4): 362-367. https://doi.org/10.1123/kr.2017-0036
- Clocksin, B.D, Harrison, R., & Douglas, A. (2017). The efficacy of handheld resistive exercise device (HRED) training on wellness outcomes in older adults. International Journal of Exercise Science, 10(8): 1208-1225. Available at: https://digitalcommons.wku.edu/ijes/vol10/iss8/11
- Watson, D.L. & Clocksin, B.D. (2013). Using Physical Activity and Sport to Teach Personal and Social Responsibility. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Sell, K., Clocksin, B.D., Spierer, D., & Ghigiarelli, J. (2011). Comparison of energy expenditure during traditional and non-traditional physical activities. Journal of Exercise Physiology-Online, 14(3), 101-112.
- Watson, D.L. & Clocksin, B.D. (2011). Processing is everything! Strategies, 24(5), 19-22.
- Clocksin, B.D., Watson, D.L., Williams, D. P., & Ransdell, L. (2009). An integrated health and physical education program to reduce media use and increase physical activity in youth. The Physical Educator, 66(3), 149-168.
- Lyons, B., Clocksin, B.D., Wax, B., & Avard, F. (2007). Using the Squat to Teach Biomechanical Principles. LAHPERD Journal, 71(1), 16-19.
- Clocksin, B.D. (2006). Sequencing High Adventure Activities in Elementary Physical Education. Teaching Elementary Physical Education, 17(4), 16-21
- Clocksin, B.D. (2006). Sequencing Low Adventure Activities in Elementary Physical Education. Teaching Elementary Physical Education, 17(3), 14-20
To explore the scholarship and creative works of University of La Verne faculty, please visit the Research Works profiles hosted by Wilson Library.