Kanya Godde Chrisco
Dr. Godde’s research focuses on population genetics in Nilotic populations, as well as developing/refining methodology in forensic anthropology and bioarchaeology by applying biostatistics. Her work focuses on issues of biological identity, decomposition, health, paleoepidemiology, body mass, aging/age estimation, and sexual dimorphism/sex estimation in the skeleton. Further, she examines aging, applying social epidemiological theory, in living populations through measures of high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, and bone mineral density.
PhD Anthropology. 2009. University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
M.A. Anthropology. 2004. California State University, Sacramento
B.A. Anthropology. 2002. California State University, Sacramento
- Hens, S.M., Godde, K. 2008. Skeletal biology past and present: are we moving in the right direction? American Journal of Physical Anthropology 137: 234-239. Abstract
- Godde, K. 2009. An Examination of Nubian and Egyptian Biological Distance: Support for Biological Diffusion or In Situ Development? Homo Journal of Comparative Human Biology 60: 389-404. Abstract
- Godde, K. 2010. Who were the Meroites? A biological investigation into the Nubian post-hiatus group. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 20: 388-395. Abstract
- Godde, K. 2010. An examination into causes of auditory exostoses. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 20: 486-490. Abstract
- Godde, K., Wilson Taylor, R. 2011. Musculoskeletal marker differences in the modern American upper limb and pectoral girdle in relation to activity level and body mass index (BMI). Forensic Science International 210: 237-242. Abstract
- Godde, K. 2012. A fresh perspective on Nubian population structure: a population genetics approach using cranial discrete traits in Mesolithic – C-Group Nubians. South African Archaeological Bulletin 67: 44-51.
- Godde, K., Hens, SM. 2012. Age-at-death estimation in an Italian archaeological sample: a test of the Suchey-Brooks and transition analysis methods. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 149: 259-265. Abstract
- Godde, K., Wilson Taylor, R. 2013. Musculoskeletal stress markers of the lower limb: A look at obesity’s effect on modern American males. Forensic Science International 226: 303.e1-303.e7. Abstract
- Stull, K., Godde, K. 2013. Sexual dimorphism in the infant skeleton: estimation of sex from the femur and humerus. Journal of Forensic Sciences 58: 13-20. Abstract
- Godde, K. 2013. An examination of the spatial-temporal isolation model in Nubians. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 23: 324-333. Abstract
- Herrera, B., Hanihara, T., Godde, K. 2014. Comparability of multiple data types from the Bering Strait region: cranial and dental metrics and nonmetrics, mtDNA, and Y-chromosome DNA. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 154: 334-348. Abstract
- Godde, K. 2014. Secular trends in cranial morphological traits: a socioeconomic perspective of change and sexual dimorphism in North Americans 1849-1960. Annals of Human Biology 42: 253-259. Abstract.
- Godde, K, Hens, SM. 2015. Modeling senescence changes of the pubic symphysis in historic Italian populations: a comparison of the Rostock and forensic approaches to aging using transition analysis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology. 156: 466-473. Abstract
- Suckling, J, Spradley, MK, Godde, K. 2016. A longitudinal study on human outdoor decomposition in Central Texas. Journal of Forensic Sciences 61: 19-25. Abstract
- Hens, SM, Godde, K. 2016. Auricular Surface Aging: Comparing two methods that assess morphological change in the ilium with Bayesian analyses. Journal of Forensic Sciences 61S:S30-S38. Abstract
- Keita, SOY, Godde, K. 2016. A preliminary analysis of diachronic craniometric geographical variation during the Predynastic-Early Dynastic period: possible population implications for the theories of the merger of upper and lower Egypt. Göttinger Miszellen 249: 97-110. Publication details.
- Weaver, KF, Morales, V, Nelson, M, Weaver, PF, Toledo, A, Godde, K. 2016. The benefits of peer review and a multi-semester capstone writing series on inquiry and analysis skills in an undergraduate thesis. CBE Life Sciences 15: ar51-ar51. Abstract.
- Godde, K. 2017. The use of informative priors in Bayesian modeling age-at-death; a quick look at chronological and biological age changes in the sacroiliac joint in American males. AIMS Public Health 4:278-288. Link to full paper
- Godde, K, Jantz, RJ. 2017. Evaluating Nubian Population Structure from Cranial Nonmetric Traits: Gene Flow, Genetic Drift, and Population History of the Nubian Nile Valley. Human Biology 89.4: . Cover photo for the issue is by K. Godde.
- Weaver, KF, Morales, V, Dunn, SL, Godde, K, Weaver, PF. 2018. An introduction to statistical analysis in research: with applications in the biological and life sciences. Wiley. Promotional site.
- Godde, K, Wilson Taylor, R.J., Gutierrez, C. 2018. Entheseal changes and demographic/health indicators in the upper extremity of modern Americans: associations with age and physical activity. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 28: 285-293. Abstract
- Leung-Gurung, L., Escalante Cobb, P., Mourad, F., Zambrano, C., Muscato, Z., Sanchez, V., Godde, K. and Broussard, C., 2018. Methoxychlor metabolite HPTE alters viability and differentiation of embryonic thymocytes from C57BL/6 mice. Journal of immunotoxicology 15: 104-118. Abstract
- Godde, K. 2018. An Application of a New Analysis to the Interpretation of Nilotic Relationships and Peopling of the Nile Valley. Homo: Journal of Comparative Biology 69: 147-157. Abstract.
- Godde, K, Thompson, M, Hens, SM. 2018. Sex estimation from cranial morphological traits: A look at the methodology across American Indians, modern North Americans, and ancient Egyptians. Homo: Journal of Comparative Biology 69: 237-247. Abstract.
- Gough, M, Godde, K. 2018. A Multifaceted Analysis of Social Stressors and Chronic Inflammation. SSM – Population Health 6:136-140. Link to full text.
- Gough, M, Godde, K. 2019. Accelerated Aging: A Model of Socioeconomic, Social, Demographic, and Biological Factors on Bone Mineral Density. Research on Aging 41: 443-466. Link to full text.
- Hens, SM, Godde, K, Macak, KM. 2019. Iron deficiency anemia, population health and frailty in a modern Portuguese skeletal sample. PLoS ONE 14: e0213369. Link to full text. Link to press release
- Prevost, J, Worrell, R, Gough, M, Godde, K. Forthcoming. A Public Health Problem: Consequences of Trauma on Health Outcomes and the Role of Social Support. Spotlight on Public Health Research. Link to full text.
- Lopez, KA, Godde, K (2019). Ancient Egyptian Health: the Prevalence of Anemia at the Origins of Agriculture and State Level Society. Homo: Journal of Comparative Biology 70: 217-224. Abstract.
- Godde, K. Forthcoming (2020). A biological perspective of the relationship between Egypt, Nubia, and the Near East during the Predynastic period. In Köhler, E.C., Kuch, N., Junge, F., and Jeske A.-K., editors. Egypt at its Origins 6: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference “Origin of the State. Predynastic and Early Dynastic Egypt”, Vienna, 10th-15th September 2017. Leuven: Peeters.