The Coalition for Diversity is a campus-wide special interest group of faculty, staff and students who are passionate about and committed to creating a climate of acceptance and respect for all kinds of diversity at the University of La Verne.
The Coalition for Diversity:
- is an ad hoc committee that is not a formal part of the University governance structure;
- is open to all members of the University community;
- meets once a month; and
- welcomes interested faculty, staff, administrator, and students to participate in Coalition activities.
The Coalition for Diversity has three overarching goals:
- To facilitate and support awareness and understanding of diversity within the University of La Verne community at large through its institutional systems, structures and facilities.
- To define and promote diversity as the recognition, appreciation and respect for differences in the characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives of all members of the campus community.
- To provide a network for the coordination of information, resources and programs at the faculty, staff and student levels in order to enhance and to maintain an environment which reflects our goals for an inclusive community.
Student, Faculty and Staff support
In addition to its other activities, the Coalition has served as an informal ombudsman for members of the community who need advice or help in dealing with diversity issues.
The Coalition sponsors and/or co-sponsors a variety of types of events on campus, including diversity-based:
- round tables;
- Safe-Zone training;
- film series; and/or
Examples of past Coalition sponsored or co-sponsored events include:
- Engendering Diversity and Community Conference;
- Colloquium Series on Race and The American Dream;
- Colloquium Series on Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Issues; and
- How Does Our Garden Grow: Films about Diversity.
For more information please contact:
Coalition for Diversity
University of La Verne
1950 Third Street
La Verne, CA 91750
Office: (909) 448-4651