Increase your educational expertise by specializing in literacy!
The University of La Verne offers three options for becoming an expert in the teaching of reading and writing:
- Reading Certificate
- Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credential
- Master of Education in Reading (M.Ed.)
Designed for classroom teachers, teacher specialists, and administrators, all three programs may be pursued concurrently!
- Learn how to implement Common Core standards;
- Be highly competitive on the job market with a specialization in literacy!
- Develop skills to diagnose reading and writing strengths/weaknesses and plan effective instruction;
- Enrich content and language arts curriculum by implementing literacy strategies in word recognition, comprehension, vocabulary development, study skills, and writing;
- Tutor children in a supportive fieldwork environment while being supervised by experienced reading professionals in a state-of-the-art Literacy Center;
- Feel empowered as a successful teacher of reading and writing for all students;
- Read testimonials from our inspirational alumni.
Reading Certificate holders can serve as reading coaches, reading teachers, school literacy experts, teacher specialists, Response to Intervention (RTI) specialists, and Title I coordinators.
Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credential holders can do all of the above, plus function as reading specialists at schools and within districts, literacy center/ learning center directors, curriculum specialists, and developers/coordinators of Response to Intervention (RTI) programs.
M.Ed. Reading degree holders can operate as full-time Professors of Reading at the community college level, Adjunct Professors of Reading at the community college or university level, literacy tutors, paid faculty tutors, and directors of learning, study skills, reading, or literacy centers.
For information regarding the tutoring program in which Graduate Reading Program candidates offer one-on-one instruction to community children, please go to the Literacy Center website.
Kristen (Soobin) Ahn
Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions
Curriculum & Tuition