The two-day SHRM Essentials of HR Management course offered on select weekends is an introductory course offering a comprehensive overview of human resource roles and responsibilities. It gives participants critical knowledge to help reduce potentially costly lawsuits and improves their ability to handle challenging HR issues. This course is ideal for those who are just starting out in the human resources profession, or those who are looking for an effective way to boost their employee management skills. Participants may include, but not limited to HR specialists, administrative assistants, trainers, executive assistants, office managers, HR administrators, and small business owners.
The SHRM Essentials of HR Management provides participants with knowledge and skills that can be used immediately. The course addresses six key human resource management subjects in a user-friendly format designed to give an effective learning experience. Participant materials include:
- Participant’s Reference Book covers six topics that are contained in one book for easy reference:
- Human Resource Management
- Employment Law
- Recruitment and Selection
- Compensation and Benefits
- Employee Development
- Performance Management
- The Participant’s Activities Book includes:
- Copies of classroom slides
- Application activities
Each participant receives access to the following online tools:
- Pre-test to gauge current knowledge
- An innovative study plan to guide learning path
- Module-specific test for each module
- Glossary of key terms
- Post-test to assess learning gain
- Threaded case study featuring real life scenarios to apply concepts learned throughout the course
- Access to the online Resource Center offering HR updates, a feedback feature, and links to valuable resources
- Access to individual and group reports to measure progress and learning gain
- Fully integrated mobile capabilities to study on-the-go
- Ability to print a certificate of achievement
There is no better way to gain a solid foundation in human resource management.
- Review key pieces of federal legislation on sexual harassment, age discrimination, the FMLA, GINA, VEVRAA, and PPACA
- Build consistent organization-wide HR practices
- Improve employee recruitment and selection while avoiding legal pitfalls
- Learn efficient and capable employee management skills
- Understand the importance of effectively communicating base pay, incentive compensation and benefits information to staff at all levels
- Increase your knowledge of employee orientation, onboarding, development and training
- Learn the process, methods, and purpose of performance appraisals
This SHRM Essentials of HR Management course is not designed for SHRM CP or SCP exam preparation. It is, however, an excellent feeder course for the University of La Verne’s SHRM CP/SCP Human Resource Management Certificate course offered twice a year around SHRM exam dates. This course serves as a stepping stone if you are not yet ready to embark on SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification preparation. All participants receive a certificate of completion from the University of La Verne.
The University of La Verne is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This SHRM SHRM Essentials of HR Management program is eligible for 15 SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP professional development credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. For more information about certification or re-certification, please visit www.shrmcertification.org.