Memo to Resident Students
To: Resident Students
From: Office of Housing and Residential Life
Date: March 13, 2020
Subject: Vacating the Residence Halls
In a recent university memo, it was announced the residence halls will close effective March 20, 2020.
We understand the timing and context are not ideal. Please know university staff will work with you as best as possible to ease the transition.
We want to provide critical information during this transition, so please continue to read for instructions.
- Residents should be prepared to completely vacate their spaces by 8 p.m. on Friday, March 20. This means no belongings should be left in your room. It is a complete check-out.
- Residents will no longer need to complete the Cancelation Form or Online Period Intake Form.
- All residents will be issued a daily prorated refund effective March 20, 2020, for both room and board charges.
- If residents are unable to move-out by March 20, please read the following:
- Complete our Late Check-Out Form provided at laverne.edu/housing/5166-2/
- Select “Late Move Out”
- Provide your reason for requiring a late move-out and your possible move-out date.
- Due to social distancing recommendations, we ask you only complete this form for extreme circumstances.
- Possible reasons to file the form may include:
- A resident has already left for home due to the university’s first memo.
- A resident will not be returning to the residence halls immediately following spring break.
- A resident is unable to return home by March 20.
- Late Check-Out Forms will need to be completed by noon on Thursday, March 19.
- Residents remaining past March 20, for reasons stated above, will be asked to consolidate. More info to come.
- We are prepared to work with each of our residents on a case-by-case basis.
- Residents able to check-out this weekend should go to the Vista front desk. The Vista front desk will be open Friday, March 13 until 9 p.m. The Vista front desk will re-open to assist with check-outs on Saturday, March 13 and Sunday March 14 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- From Monday, March 16 through Thursday, March 19:
- Citrus and Oak Residents – Visit the Oaks Housing Office between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. to complete an Express Check-Out form with a community assistant.
- Vista La Verne Residents – Visit the front desk in Vista between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. to complete an Express Check-Out form with a community assistant.
- If you plan on checking-out of your room outside of our regular business hours, please call the RA on duty from your respective area to complete an Express Check-Out form.
- On Friday, March 20, our department will be coordinating a check-out process for all residents at their respective front desks between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. PLEASE MAKE SURE ALL BELONGINGS AND TRASH ARE REMOVED FROM YOUR ROOM BEFORE COMPLETING AN EXPRESS CHECK-OUT FORM.
- In regard to mail services:
- Please contact vendors, providers, and businesses that send you mail to inform them of your address change. The Campus Center and our department will not be able to store letters, subscriptions, or packages.
- Check your mailbox before returning your mailbox key.
- Before completing your check-out, please complete a mail forwarding card, which will be included in your Express Check-Out form. Residents may also provide this information by visiting laverne.edu/housing/mail-forward-form/
- Unfortunately, the Department of Housing and Residential Life does not have access to cleaning supplies, vacuums, brooms, mops, etc. Furthermore, our department does not have access to a storage facility or donation bins for our residents.
Students are responsible for making arrangements for the storage of their belongings. Any items left behind may be donated or thrown away. We apologize for this inconvenience.
We understand this is a difficult time. Please know our staff is diligently working to ease move-out.
Contact any of our staff members with your questions or concerns. Their contact information is below.
We will also be creating and updating an FAQ sheet for residents.
The Department of Housing and Residential Life Staff
Eugene Shang, Director of Residential Life & Student Conduct (x4963)
Lisa Lester, Associate Director of Housing Operations (x4425)
Stephen Heggem, Residence Life Coordinator – Citrus Hall (x4678)
Tiffany De Leon, Residence Life Coordinator – Vista La Verne (x4786)
Natali Conchas, Housing Coordinator (x4453)
Front Desk Extensions:
Citrus Hall – x4115
Oaks Hall – x4052
Vista La Verne – x4409
Resident Assistant (RA) Duty Lines:
Citrus Hall – 909-973-4728
Oaks Hall – 909-973-4729
Vista La Verne – 909-973-4736
Campus Safety – 909-448-4950