The La Verne Honors Program is designed to foster students to become thoughtful, responsible, and engaged citizens. With a focus on the importance of thinking globally and acting locally, the Honors Program provides a challenging and interdisciplinary curriculum that places a heavy emphasis on creating a curricular experience that is inclusive of a diverse set of ideas from around the world.
The University of La Verne’s baccalaureate goals serve as the inspiration of the Honors Program mission. The university-wide baccalaureate goals are as follows:
- Baccalaureate Goal 1: Broad knowledge and appreciation of the liberal arts integrated with a depth of knowledge in a specialized discipline;
- Baccalaureate Goal 2: Ability to think critically and creatively, and apply those skills toward resolution of local, national and global problems;
- Baccalaureate Goal 3: Excellence in written, oral, and creative expression through a variety of traditional and contemporary media;
- Baccalaureate Goal 4: Effective leadership and teamwork skills with cultural competence;
- Baccalaureate Goal 5: Commitment to ethical, environmental, and social responsibility accompanied by civic and community engagement.
In light of the mission of the Honors Program and the University of La Verne’s baccalaureate goals, the program-specific goals for the Honors Program are as follows:
- Honors Goal 1: Provide a rigorous curriculum by combining both interdisciplinary and traditional disciplinary courses (Baccalaureate Goals: 1).
- Honors Goal 2: Foster critical thinking and analysis of today’s most challenges issues by promoting a diversity of perspectives from around the world (Baccalaureate Goals: 2, 4).
- Honors Goal 3: Create an active intellectual environment through seminar-style classrooms that stress experiential and/or community-based learning as well as opportunities for external engagement (Baccalaureate Goals: 4, 5).
Given the goals of the Honors Program, the learning outcomes or skills expected of all Honors graduates are as follows:
- Honors Learning Outcome 1: Integrated or systems thinking (Honors Goal: 1)
- Honors Learning Outcome 2: Critical thinking and analysis (Honors Goal: 2)
- Honors Learning Outcome 3: Cultural competency (Honors Goal: 2)
- Honors Learning Outcome 4: Civic and community awareness (Honors Goal: 3)