At La Verne, approximately 30% of traditional-age undergraduates participate in intercollegiate athletics annually. An NCAA Division III member, La Verne does not offer scholarships based on athletic ability. Its athletic program is dedicated to developing scholar-athletes who demonstrate a commitment to academic and athletic success. Intercollegiate athletics are an integral part of the overall college experience, engaging the campus community and establishing a sense of spirit and pride while promoting a healthy lifestyle and fitness of mind and body.
A member of the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, La Verne fields 18 teams (nine men’s, nine women’s), several serving as standard bearers:
- Women’s volleyball is a perennial national contender with three national titles (1981, 1982, 2001) and 21 conference championships in its history.
- Baseball has a national reputation stretching back five decades, with two national titles (1972, 1995) and 19 conference titles.
- Football’s competitive tradition can be traced back 83 years and is a keystone of the University’s athletic legacy.
- Softball has established a competitive reputation, earning eight NCAA Division III playoff berths over the past 11 seasons.
- Men’s golf, winners of four straight SCIAC titles, has placed second at the Division III national championship tournaments (2007, 2009) and finished in the top five in three of the last four years.