Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

Who should apply as an international student?

You should apply as an international student if:

  • You currently reside in another country and are not a citizen of the United States
  • You currently reside in the United States and are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States studying on a Visa.

Should I apply as a freshman or a transfer student?

Please see the application requirements for freshman or transfer students to determine which application materials you must submit.

What are the application deadlines?

Priority Deadlines

Freshmen Applicants
Fall (August) Semester: 1 February
Spring (February) Semester: 1 December
Transfer Applicants
Fall (August) Semester: 1 April
Spring (February) Semester: 1 December

The University of La Verne reviews applications on a rolling basis. This means we continue to accept applications after the deadline until the class is full. However, we encourage all students to apply by the Priority Deadlines in order to ensure a timely review of the application.

How can I get more information about the University of La Verne?

We encourage all interested prospective students to request more information to receive updated news about the admission process and scholarships. You may also refer to the International Admission Brochure for an overview of the undergraduate admission process.

When will I receive an admission decision?

Please see our admission notification timeline as to how we notify students of their admission decision. Express mailing is offered at the student’s expense.

Is the TOEFL required?

All international students are required to submit proof of English Proficiency. A TOEFL or IELTS score is the most frequently submitted examination, however the University of La Verne also accepts the SAT, ACT, Duolingo English Test, the Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) or the PTE Academic as proof of English Proficiency for undergraduate admission consideration.

I am currently finishing my final year of high school/secondary school or University. Do I have to wait until I finish the year before I apply to the University of La Verne?

No, the University of La Verne would prefer that you apply during your final year by sending a transcript which includes your mid-year grades/marks of your final year and courses in progress. The Office of International Admission will make a decision based on the courses already completed and satisfactory completion of your remaining courses. You will not be permitted to register for your first semester at the University of La Verne until your final transcript is received.

What do I need to submit for my application?

Please see the application requirements for  Undergraduate and Transfer admission for a list of all required documents.

Is the SAT required for freshmen admission?

If the student does not have a TOEFLIELTS, ACTCambridge English: Advanced, Duolingo English Test or PTE Academic score, then a SAT score is required.

Does the university require original educational documents?

Transcripts and test scores must be official, original documents. In addition, notarized or attested English translations of foreign transcripts are required. Facsimiles (faxes), scanned documents or photocopies are not acceptable for these documents. The copy of the passport page, bank statements, and financial statement may be copied and submitted electronically. Once submitted, all documents become the property of the University and cannot be returned.

What are official documents and test scores?

Documents and test scores are considered official if they are sent directly from the school or institution. Documents or scores that have been opened by students are not considered official. Transcripts may be submitted by students if the transcripts are submitted in sealed envelopes that contain a school official signature or stamp on the seal.

Are there scholarships available? When do I apply for one?

The University of La Verne offers scholarships for international  undergraduate students. US citizens living abroad may also qualify for need based grants and loans. Students should submit the FAFSA by 2 March (priority deadline). Merit scholarships for U.S. citizens range between $3,000-$30,000 per year. Students are considered for scholarships at the time of application. No separate application is required.

Can I receive credit for AP or IB Exams?

After you have been admitted to the University of La Verne, you will need to send official score reports to the Office of the Registrar. Credit is given based on the exam and score received. A current list of credit awarded can be found here.

Is housing on-campus guaranteed?

Rooms are assigned on a first-come, first served basis. It is important you apply for admission by the priority deadlines. You may not apply for a spot in the residence hall until after you are admitted and submit your $200 tuition deposit.  Once this is complete, you may begin the housing application process. Students submitting both the tuition deposit and housing application and deposit by 1 May will be guaranteed housing.

Are international students required to live on campus?

International students are strongly recommended, but not required to live on campus.

What is the number of credit hours for full-time status?

An undergraduate student must be enrolled in 12 units to be considered for full-time at the University of La Verne. Undergraduate students can take up to 18 units during any given semester.

How do I obtain an I-20?

The Office of International Services and Engagement assists all international students with inquiries regarding I-20 processing and visa information. A student must first be admitted and submit documented proof of financial responsibility before the I-20 can be issued. You must then contact an American embassy or consulate to begin the visa process.

What if I still have questions?

You may contact Adam Wu, Ed.D., Director of Undergraduate Admission.