Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

How many traditional undergraduate students attend La Verne?

There are approximately 2,800 traditional students on the main campus.

What is the approximate student to faculty ratio?

14 to 1

What is the average class size?

The average class is 18 students; 64% of La Verne classes have less than 20 students.

Can I get Internet access on campus?

Yes, we have five computer labs. Students can set up Internet access via modems from their residence hall through the campus wireless network. Each student is assigned a University e-mail account that also functions as their wireless log-in credentials.

Can I bring a car to campus? Is there a fee to park my car?

Yes, you may bring a car on campus. The University does not change students for parking (2016/2017). Student Resided and Commuting Student parking permits are FREE. Student parking permits can be requested by logging into your MyLaVerne Portal > student resources > parking passes. All students must have a valid parking permit displayed in the front windshield of their vehicle Monday-Friday 7:00am-7:00pm when parking on campus. Please refer to Transportation and Parking Services for more information regarding parking on campus.

What about campus safety?

La Verne has its own campus security on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The City of La Verne Police Department is also located directly across the street from campus. We have call boxes, escort programs, a well-lit campus, and provide safety whistles to students, faculty, and staff for personal security. Ninety-two percent of on-campus residents report feeling safe living on campus.

How diverse is the student body?

More than 60% of undergraduate students enrolled at La Verne identify themselves as Hispanic, African American, or Asian American.

Will I get a La Verne e-mail address?

Yes, you will have access to your La Verne email account two days after your tuition deposit has been processed.

What if my address or other contact details have changed?

It is your responsibility to notify the Office of Admission as soon as you are aware of any changes (address, phone, email). The University of La Verne will not be responsible for information that was delivered to the incorrect address due to a lack of notification on the part of the student.

Is housing on-campus guaranteed?

Rooms are assigned on a first-come, first served basis.  Thus, it is important that you apply for admission by the priority deadlines.  You may not apply for a spot in the residence hall until after you are admitted and submit your $200 tuition deposit.   Once this is complete, you may begin the housing application process. Students submitting both the tuition deposit and housing application fees by May 1st will be marked as “priority” status. Students receiving an International Student Scholarship MUST live on campus to retain their scholarship.

Academic Questions

What is SOAR?

SOAR is the acronym for Summer Opportunity for Advising and Registration. This year our online SOAR will take place in your application portal.  Log in to your application portal and complete the items on your checklist including watching our advising videos, selecting your FLEX (freshman only), and signing up for an appointment with an academic advisor. Log in to your application portal now to get started.

What is the number of credit hours for full-time status?

A student must be enrolled in 12 units to be considered for full-time at the University of La Verne. Students can take up to 18 units during any given semester. However, the standard full-time load is 16 units each semester allowing most students to graduate within 4 years (or 8 semesters).

When do I register for classes?

You will register for classes over summer by completing the steps in your application portal. If you have submitted your tuition deposit, log in to your application portal to view your checklist. Follow the checklist items in order as they guide you through the steps to register for classes and meet with an academic advisor. 

Do I need to send updated transcripts?

Yes, all students are required to send an official final transcript that shows graduation with a high school diploma (freshmen students) or updated transcripts (transfer students). Please note that transfer students that complete University coursework overseas from an institution that does not have senior-level accreditation must submit a Detail Report with Course Level Identification to the Office of Admissions. This is required in order to register for classes. A registration hold is placed if students fail to submit final transcripts. There is a fee required for this service. Final official transcripts from high school (or equivalent), all prior colleges scores are required to be submitted. A registration hold is placed on student records who fail to submit final transcripts.

When do I need to declare a major?

You can arrive with a declared major or enter as undecided. However, you’ll need to declare a major at the end of your sophomore year. Some majors do require students to declare a major as a freshman (e.g. Biology). If you transfer with junior standing you MUST have a declared major at admission.

Can I receive credit for AP, IB or A-level Exams?

As part of the admission process you will need to submit official scores to the Office of Admissions. After you have been admitted to the University of La Verne, the Office of the Registrar will review your reports to determine if credit can be given based on the exam and score received. A current list of credit awarded can be found here. Students that submit official A-level results will have their records reviewed on a case-by-case to determine what if any credit will be awarded.

Financial Questions

How much is tuition?

Tuition information is available here.

What happens to my $200 tuition deposit?

The deposit is applied to your first semester bill.

Is financial aid available?

Upon admittance the University reviews and awards any applicable merit scholarship/award. To be considered for additional aid you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online  and include La Verne’s school code, 001216.

When do I have to submit my tuition deposit by?

Freshmen students should submit their tuition and housing deposit by 1 May. Any student admitted after 1 May should aim to submit their tuition deposit within 2-3 weeks after being admitted. Please note that OISS will cease issuing I-20s three weeks before the start of the semester.  

When will I find out more about my scholarship?

If you were awarded a scholarship, you will receive an official notice at the end of March. US citizens living abroad may also qualify for need based grants and loans.  Students should submit the FAFSA by 2 March (priority deadline).

When do I pay my fees?

Students who plan to live on campus are required to make payment arrangements with the Office of Student Accounts by July 20. Students not living on campus are required to make payment arrangements by July 31. Visit our financial arrangements page for more information on how to complete this requirement.

International Questions

How do I receive my I-20?

The Office of International Student Services (OISS) will begin processing your I-20 after you have submitted your $200 tuition deposit AND they have received a copy of the photo page of your passport, financial statement and bank statements. You must then contact an American embassy or consulate to begin the visa process. The following links may also be of use to you:

When do I pay my fees?

The Office of Student Accounts will tentatively bill all new international students for 12 units. This will allow students to make their first tuition payment and/or sign up for a payment class. Please note payment amount may differ for students that sign up for additional units. Students will receive correspondence directly from Student Accounts.