Bypass the primary and secondary navigation and continue reading the main body of the page

Frequently Asked Questions


Tuition rates for graduate and undergraduate programs are available here.


All international students are required to submit proof of English Proficiency from either a test of English language or college entrance exam. For more information, click here.


Applicants will receive an email with a link that has the I-20 application and how to upload their supporting documents.

Applicants in the U.S. will need to submit their Acceptance Letter from La Verne and SEVIS code for La Verne (LOS214F00321000) to their current school in order to transfer their I-20. If you must travel home before the first day of classes, we issue the I-20 before you travel.

Applicants in their home country will need to apply for the F-1 visa in the nearest U.S. consulate. Please check the US Embassy website to find information about applying for a visa in your country. Find information about the visa process at the consulate in your country.


After you have been admitted and paid your non-refundable tuition deposit, notify your current school that you intend to transfer to La Verne. Email your international advisor at your current school and provide them with your Acceptance Letter from La Verne and La Verne’s SEVIS code (LOS214F00321000) so that they can transfer your I-20. For Transfer Instructions click here. Remember that you must complete the transfer within two weeks of the first day of classes.


All first year undergraduate international students will do necessary testing and registration during orientation week.

Undergraduate international students transferring from another U.S. college or university (but not a language school) will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis for appropriate placement. Undergraduates, if you have questions, please contact the Advising Office at (909) 448-4510.

Graduate International Students should contact the advisor in your respective department.


We will normally send it by email unless you request a hard copy which can be sent through express mail (such as Federal Express or DHL).


You may live in:

  1. The university residence halls (if available);
  2. Stay with an American family (home stay);
  3. Live in a room or apartment

Please go to the housing page to find more details.


Prior to enrollment a Physical Examination Form and Immunization Record is required. Failure to submit these forms will create a hold on your account which will prevent you from registering for future classes. These documents provide us with a history of previous medical care and are the basis for your continued medical care in college. Please return these forms as soon as possible.

Instructions for Completing your Health Requirements

All completed health forms must be submitted to Student Health Services. These forms can be accessed here; scan the completed form(s) and either e-mail them to or mail them to:

University of La Verne
Student Health Center
1950 Third Street
La Verne, CA 91750

The Physical Examination Form and Immunization Record must be completed and signed by a health care provider. It cannot be completed by a parent or student. The Health History Record and the Summary of Notice for Privacy Practices must be completed by the student. If you are a minor (under 18) at the time the forms are being completed, they must be co-signed by a parent or guardian.

The Physical Exam and TB Skin Test must be completed within the past year prior to the 1st day of classes. If you have a history of a positive TB Skin test, you will need proof of a chest x-ray within the past year.

The Tdap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis) vaccine must be given within the past 10 years. Td will not be accepted.
Immunization records are required to prevent outbreaks of communicable diseases on campus as well as to help recognize students who may be at risk. If your immunization records cannot be located, you have two options:

  1. Re-immunization
  2. A blood test to determine immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella and Hepatitis B. If the blood test indicates no immunity to MMR or Hepatitis B, re-immunization will be necessary.

If you had chicken pox (Varicella) as a child, please make sure your provider indicates the month and year you had the disease. A positive Varicella titer will be accepted if no records are available. If you have NOT had chicken pox in the past, you will need to provide written documentation of two doses of the Varivax vaccine at least 28 days apart.

To fulfill the meningococcal requirement, you must have received the Meneveo or Menactra vaccine (MCV4) within the past 5 years.

For any additional questions or to schedule an appointment, please contact Student Health Services at 001 (909) 448-4619. Additional resources can be accessed through our website.


Students with an initial I-20 must enter by the start date on their I-20 and not a day later. Entry to the U.S. after the program start date is not guaranteed and is at the discretion of the Port of Entry Officer at the airport as well as the OISE. Students who are not able to enter the U.S. by the program start date on their I-20 must contact the OISE to have their I-20 deferred to the next available semester.


International students are required to be enrolled full time throughout their course of study. Students must be enrolled in both spring and fall semesters and take a vacation during the traditional summer (June-August). There are only a few conditions under which you may take less than a full course of studies. Please contact the Office of International Services & Engagement if you have questions.


Contact the Office of International Services & Engagement at least 2 weeks before leaving the US so we can review your SEVIS record and your I-20. If needed, we will provide you with a travel signature on your I-20.


A “leave of absence” from study is not a vacation. It is a period-of-time that a student takes to return home for compelling personal or family reasons, such as illness, death in the family, or a financial emergency. The following describes the procedures for students who cannot take a vacation—students who are not entitled to receive the benefit of the vacation period–but need to take a “leave of absence.” Note that F-1 students who will be outside the U.S. for 5 months or more are not eligible for a “leave of absence.”

Requesting a “leave of absence”

  1. Contact the Office of International Services and Engagement (OISE) to request a leave of absence before you leave school. If the DSO allows you to withdraw from school or take a leave of absence, you will be allowed a 15-day period for departure from the United States and your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record will reflect Terminated status for Authorized Early Withdrawal. This departure period only applies to a student who talks to a DSO about leaving school. If you do not tell your DSO, you will not qualify for an additional 15-day period for departure. Once you are ready to return to your studies, contact the OISE at least 6-8 weeks in advance to either re-activate your I-20 (if your leave has been less than five months) or to issue you a new I-20 (if your leave was more than 5 months).
    1. Obtain a travel signature on your I-20 if you plan on returning within 5 months to the university.
    2. Email your airplane ticket showing your exit date to the OISE.
  2. Contact your professors and inform them that you are taking a “leave of absence.”
  3. Contact your academic advisor.