Interim Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences & Professor, Psychology
Dr. Ngoc H. Bui is a tenured full professor in the psychology department at the University of La Verne, who is currently serving as Interim Associate Dean for Effectiveness, Planning, and Faculty Affairs in the College of Arts and Sciences.
She earned a Bachelor’s of Science in psychology, with a minor in quantitative research, at California Polytechnic University, Pomona, in 1994. Dr. Bui earned her M.A. (1997) and Ph.D. (2000) degrees in social psychology from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Prior to coming to La Verne, Dr. Bui was a full-time social sciences instructor at Metropolitan Community College, located in Elkhorn, Nebraska (1999-2002).
Dr. Bui’s research interests include teaching and learning psychology, attitudes, procrastination, social cognition and media psychology. She has also supported student research by publishing and presenting with undergraduate and graduate students in the psychology program at the University of La Verne. Dr. Bui has 18 refereed journal publications (8 of which were co-authored with students), 16 book and film reviews, and 23 poster presentations since arriving at La Verne. She has also served as chapter advisor to Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology at the University of La Verne since 2002. Dr. Bui has been awarded the Outstanding Club/Organization Advisor Award (2007, 2008, 2009), the Psi Chi Regional Faculty Advisor Award (2006), and the Psi Chi/Florence L. Denmark National Faculty Advisor Award (2012). She has been recognized for Outstanding Achievement in Graduate Student Mentoring for the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of La Verne (2016), and was inducted into the La Verne Academy (2017), which is dedicated to collegial leadership in research and scholarship. She has served on a variety of committees, including the University Promotion and Tenure Committee, the Institutional Review Board, the Sabbatical Committee, the General Education Committee (as co-chair), and the College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Professional Support Committee.
She lives with her husband, Kent, her two children (Grace and Ben), and her two cats. In her free time, Dr. Bui is an avid reader of dystopian fiction, fantasy, and YA novels.
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska Lincoln
- M.A., University of Nebraska Lincoln
- Alfaro, M.A., & Bui, N.H. (2017). Mental health professionals’ attitudes, perceptions, and stereotypes toward Latino/a undocumented immigrants. Ethics & Behavior, 28(5), 374-388. doi.org/10.1080/10508422.2017.1300773
- Bui, N.H. (2017). The relationship between self-efficacy and perceptions of different literacy types among college students. Journal of College Reading and Learning, 47(1), 45-57. doi: 10.1080/10790195.2016.1218808
- Bui, N.H. (2017). Exploring similarity characteristics, identification, and parasocial interactions in choice of celebrities. Psychology of Popular Media Culture, 6(1), 21-31. doi:10.1037/ppm0000082
- Demyan, A.L., Abraham, C.M., & Bui, N.H. (2018). Trainees looking through the lens of a supervisor: Remediation and gatekeeping responses to hypothetical problems of professional competency. The American Journal of Family Therapy, 46(1), 67-80. doi: 10.1080/01926187.2018.1428128
- Rindt-Hoffman, S., Kernes, J.L., & Bui, N.H. (2019). Attachment style, spirituality, and compassionate love among mental health professionals. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 4(2), 112-126. doi: 10.17744/mehc.41.2.02.
- Waring, A., Kernes, J.L., & Bui, N.H. (2019). The role of attachment anxiety, attachment avoidance, and grit on life satisfaction and relationship satisfaction. Journal of Humanistic Psychology. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/0022167819844692
- Bui, N. (2018, April). Disrespect and self-efficacy among a college sample. Poster presented at the 98th Annual Western Psychological Association Convention, Portland, OR.
- Bui, N. (2017, April). Are eco-friendly products worth more? Perceived value of environmentally-friendly products. Poster presented at the 97th Annual Western Psychological Association Convention, Sacramento, CA.
- Bui, N. (2016, April). Don’t tell me what to do: Psychological reactance and environmental backlash on environmental attitudes and behaviors. Poster presented at the 96th Annual Western Psychological Association Convention, Long Beach, CA.