If you have any questions about these rights and responsibilities, please do not hesitate to ask our medical staff. If you would like a copy of our student health insurance policy, please contact either Students Accounts or Student Health Services.
As patients, students have the right to considerate and respectful health care. Their corresponding responsibility is to give Student Health Services the same respect and consideration.
Your rights and responsibilities as a patient:
- You have the right , whenever possible, to select your own clinician.
- You have the right to receive complete information regarding the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of your health problem.
Your responsibility is to provide complete, honest information to your clinician and to other Student Health Services staff, so that the best decisions may be made about your health care.
- You have the right to be seen in a timely manner for your health concerns.
Your responsibility is to cancel or change your appointment in a timely manner, to allow others in need to have access to a health care provider.
- You have the right to receive adequate information necessary to provide informed consent prior to the start of any procedure, test, or treatment.
Your responsibility is to make sure you understand or ask questions in order to clarify your understanding.
- You have the right to refuse treatment, or to ask for a second opinion, or an alternative course of treatment, and to be informed of the medical consequences of your actions.
If you agree to a course of treatment, you have a responsibility to yourself and to the clinician to follow the prescribed instructions, including completing medication and returning for follow-up appointments.
- You have the right to ask for a prescription for an outside pharmacy, or to have diagnostic tests performed at another facility.
- You have the right to privacy concerning your health care. All care received at Student Health Services will be kept strictly confidential except as required by law. You also have the right of access to your medical records. In accordance with Student Health Center procedural guidelines, you may review your record with an authorized staff member. You may also receive a copy of your medical record or designate a Health Care Provider to receive a copy of your record on your behalf.
- You have the right to receive an explanation of any service charge incurred.
Your responsibility is to be aware that, while there is no charge to be evaluated by Student Health Services, there may be costs incurred by outside services or that which exceeds policy limits.