As the University of La Verne’s chief academic officer, the Provost is responsible for achieving the highest standards of academic excellence, ensuring outstanding teaching, and promoting scholarly and creative activities. The Deans of the four Colleges and the Dean of the Regional and Online Campuses work closely with the Provost to achieve these goals.
The Provost also oversees the Academic Affairs Division, which ensures academic quality through sponsored research, academic assessment, faculty development, student life services, academic support services, library services, spiritual life, and athletics.
The Provost’s administrative responsibilities include:
- monitoring and assessing the implementation of the university’s vision, mission, values, and strategic plan;
- preparing the annual budget for Academic Affairs and assuring budgeting and financial planning is based on academic ideals, priorities, and goals;
- promoting academic excellence in graduate, undergraduate, and non-traditional programs through outstanding teaching and curricula;
- encouraging, fostering the environment for, and supporting academic scholarship and research as intellectual activity valuable and necessary for faculty development for teaching excellence;
- promoting the integration of academic scholarship and research with teaching and learning, both inside the classroom and in community service; and
- promoting shared governance, collegiality, community, fairness, and respect among administration, faculty, staff, and students.
The Provost is supported in these functions by Vice Provost Dr. Beatriz Gonzalez.