Appropriate Use Policy for Students
Everyone must follow standard security practices such as maintaining password secrecy and logging out of accounts when not in use
- use technology resources only as required in the performance of their jobs
- disclose confidential information to other staff only on a need-to know basis
Under no circumstances shall the following data be extracted and/or stored on computer systems external to the University of La Verne.
- Social Security Numbers
- Driver’s License Numbers
- Credit Card Numbers
- Bank Account Numbers or Routing Information
Network Connectivity Policy
Network connectivity is a privilege and not a right. Students wishing to connect their personal computer to the university network, either physically or via wireless connection, will be required to complete (in its entirety) and sign a “Student Network Access Request” form prior to connecting to the network.
They shall sign a copy of and agree to the “Appropriate Use Policy”. Students violating campus network security policies or appropriate use policies risk losing this privilege.
Passwords Security Policy
Passwords are assigned as a method to control and monitor access to La Verne campus-wide systems and information, and should never be shared with others.
- You are not to give others access to systems or information by providing them with your account and password.
- You can be held responsible for anything that is done by someone using your account and password even if you didn’t knowingly give it to them.
- You must use strong passwords, change them regularly, and protect them from improper use.
Violations of any part of this policy may result in disciplinary action as prescribed by University policies and procedures.
Software Copyright Infringement Policy
Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications are restricted from use on the University of La Verne network unless specifically authorized by the Office of Information Technology.
Student/Alumni Computer Account Retention Policy
Active students are eligible to retain their La Verne computer accounts as long as they follow the University’s Appropriate Use and Information Security-Confidentiality Policy.
University of La Verne graduates may retain their University computer accounts for four months after graduating while their student Gmail accounts will continue to work indefinitely.