Frequently Asked Questions for Students

Below are questions many students ask about studying abroad via La Verne-affiliated programs:

Why should I study overseas? Study abroad gives you the opportunity to learn about another culture, to improve foreign language skills, to experience self-reliance abroad, and to develop new intellectual pursuits and skills. Whatever the reasons, the experience will change your life and allow for a new perspective on society and life to be created.
When may I participate in Study Abroad? You must have second semester sophomore standing or greater to participate in the program. Transfer students may qualify if they have completed one full semester at the University prior to studying abroad.
Where may I study abroad? La Verne participates in two consortia, BCA Study Abroad and CIEE (the Council for International Educational Exchange), that combined offer programs in more than forty countries.  We also regularly work with the Oxford Study Abroad Programme in England and the Semester at Sea.
Can only certain majors study abroad? No, the programs are not major specific and are open to all fields of study. It is important, however, that you plan ahead so that you can fit study abroad into your program and major.
Do I need to know a foreign language to study abroad? Several of the programs are English based. There are few that do require language proficiency.
Is there a minimum Grade Point Average I must have? Yes, the minimum GPA to study abroad with La Verne is 2.75.  Some programs require a higher GPA.
May I use financial aid for study abroad? Yes, almost all financial aid including loans, grants, and scholarships are applicable to La Verne sponsored overseas studies programs. The two components of financial aid that do not apply are La Verne institutional loans and La Verne work study awards. At times, it is possible to work with your work study supervisor to complete your hours within one semester to ensure that you maintain that money. Financial aid packages are reevaluated in light of the cost of a specific study abroad program and can be adjusted.
May I pay for study abroad in installments? Yes, just as you can pay your usual tuition in installments.
How much does it cost? The costs are equal to the cost of La Verne undergraduate tuition plus room and board, living in the La Verne residence halls.  In addition, there is the cost of transportation to the study abroad site and any additional travel and gift purchases that you may do or make.
What credits can I earn in a study abroad program? You can earn a variety of credits, depending on your interest and in some cases the level of your language proficiency.
Will all the courses that I take transfer as La Verne credit? Yes, all courses will transfer as La Verne credit and will count towards the residency requirement. To ensure this, we recommend that you save your syllabi of courses taken.
Can I earn major or minor credit? Yes, this is often possible.  However, credit toward major or minor requirements depends on prior approval from your major or minor department. You should work closely with your advisor to determine what is possible.
What about my housing at La Verne if I live in the residence halls? If you are accepted into a La Verne study abroad program, you will be released from your housing contract. While there is no guarantee that you will be able to reenter housing upon return from your overseas program, we recommend working with Housing and Residential life to reserve places for the semester following your return.
What are the overseas living arrangements? They vary among programs. Possible options include dormitories (with dining hall or cooking facilities), apartments, home stays with host families, and group homes.
Does my La Verne insurance policy cover me when I travel through a study abroad program? The La Verne policy does cover you, if you qualify for that coverage. Some programs include a student identity card that provides supplementary coverage.
When is the application deadline? Fall Semester and year-long Programs: April 1 (in some cases March 15); Spring Semester: October 15. Check the BCA Study Abroad or CIEE websites for the deadline of your specific program.
How do I get to the program site? The cost of transportation is your responsibility to pay, but you may choose either to arrange your own flights or arrange them through the study abroad program’s provider.