Frequently Asked Questions

I am considering transferring to La Verne, and I’d like to talk with someone.

For information on how to become a student at the University of La Verne, please contact an Admissions representative at (800) 876-4858 or by email.

I am interested in applying, but would like a preliminary evaluation of my transfer coursework.

The Office of the Registrar does not process preliminary evaluations at this time. For questions on how your coursework may transfer to the University of La Verne please contact the Admissions Office at (800) 876-4858 or by email.

Which courses will transfer to La Verne?

  • Courses completed at an institution that holds a national or regional accreditation recognized by La Verne may be eligible for transfer credit. For a complete list of accrediting agencies recognized by the university, please click here. Please note, the number of units accepted by La Verne is determined according to the institution’s accrediting agency.
  • Eligible coursework completed with a grade of C- or higher. Grades of PASS or CREDIT will also be considered acceptable for transfer.
  • Eligible coursework designated as baccalaureate-level by the credit granting institution.

How many of my credits will transfer?

Course and exam credits are transferable to La Verne based upon the type of credit earned and where the credit was earned. Courses completed at an institution accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by La Verne may be eligible to transfer, however the maximum number of units that can be transferred varies by accrediting agency and by course type (i.e. vocational courses, exam credits, etc). All eligible transfer courses must be applicable to a bachelor’s degree by the transferring institution.

The University of La Verne will accept a maximum of 88 semester hours for credit towards a Bachelor’s degree. Transfer credit will be awarded up to this 88 maximum in the following order:

  • satisfaction of general education requirements;
  • satisfaction of major requirements;
  • satisfaction of upper division requirements;
  • GPA benefit; and
  • overall elective unit completion

How can I transfer in additional coursework if I have already met the maximum of 88 semester hours?

Any transfer work completed after matriculation and beyond the 88 semester hour limit will be considered for subject area fulfillment, but will not transfer with unit value (the particular course will be fulfilled by a 0-unit course marker).

Do you accept CSU-GE or IGETC certifications?

  • The University of La Verne accepts full and partial CSU-GE or IGETC certifications.
  • A student with a full CSU-GE or IGETC certification completed prior to matriculation with grades of C- or better will be credited with fulfilling all of La Verne’s GE requirements with the exception of the Foreign Language requirement depending on the student’s declared major, and the appropriate University Values requirements. Students must provide proof of certification when the final transcript is sent to La Verne.
  • A student with a partial CSU-GE or IGETC certification signed by the sending institution prior to matriculation with grades of C- or better will be credited with fulfilling the corresponding general education area requirements as required by La Verne.

Do you give college credit for AP, IB, CLEP and DSST exams?

Credit by examination at La Verne is currently available only through AP (Advanced Placement), CLEP (College Level Examination Program), DSST (DANTES), or IB (International Baccalaureate) examinations. La Verne’s standards for granting credit for these tests are listed here.  

I want to take a CLEP or DSST exam; what do I need to do?

  • First meet with an academic advisor to determine if the exam(s) overlap with material covered by previous college level coursework and or exams.
  • If a determination cannot be made by the academic advisor, students should then submit a Transfer Credit Review Form and request the exam(s) be reviewed for potential duplication against previous coursework.
  • A student should meet with their academic advisor to discuss testing sites and preparation needed for the exam.

Do I need a credential evaluation for my foreign coursework?

Transcripts for foreign colleges and universities must be submitted for evaluation to a recognized credential evaluation service that is recognized by the University of La Verne. Before an official La Verne evaluation may be processed and transfer credit awarded, an official copy of this credential evaluation must be provided to the Office of the Registrar. For an up to date list of approved Foreign Credential Services, please refer to this link.

Will my foreign coursework meet major or general education requirements?

  • Foreign credential evaluations typically do not include recommendations on general education or major applicability of the courses reviewed.  In order for the university’s Articulation Office to facilitate faculty review of foreign coursework for this applicability, students must submit notarized translations of course descriptions from the foreign transfer institution.
  •  In cases where course descriptions are not available, students are encouraged to take available placement examinations to qualify for general education credit, or to work with the academic advisor to determine alternative modes of assessment (such as a CLEP exam). Please note that a student will be given general elective credit in the absence of notarized course descriptions.
  • IERF Forms for the University of La Verne

Where can I request a notarized translation of my foreign coursework?

Does the University of La Verne contact my previously attended institution(s) to request my transcript(s)?

It is the responsibility of the student to request the most up to date official transcript for all previously completed college level coursework. The official transcript should be sent to the Office of the Registrar.

I have a sealed official transcript that is two years old. Do I need to request a new one?

Yes, any transcript not sent to the University of La Verne directly from the transfer institution must be received within seven days of the print date listed on the transcript; documents older than this will not be accepted as official. If your official transcript does not fall within the seven day period, you will need to request another official transcript from the transferring institution.

Where should I send my updated transcripts?

Please send any updated transcripts to the following address:

University of La Verne
ATTN: Office of the Registrar
1915 Third Street
La Verne, CA 91750

Do I need to submit my final high school transcripts if I am transferring less than 28 units?

Yes, if you are transferring to the University of La Verne with less than 28 units please have your high school send an official final high school transcript with a posted graduation date. If a final high school transcript is not received by our office, a registration hold will be placed on your account prior to your 2nd semester registration period.

I am a current student and I plan on taking courses outside of La Verne. Do I need pre-approval?

If you would like to know if a course can be used to fulfill elective units or a general education requirement first consult the Transfer Agreement Plans to determine if the course has already been reviewed and approved. If the course you would like to take is not listed or the institution does not have a previously established GE Transfer Agreement Plan, you may request a course review by completing the Transfer Credit Review Form. Once you have completed and submitted the form you will receive an email confirming your submission and a response will be emailed to you within 5-10 business days. It is strongly advisable that you meet with your academic advisor prior to taking any transfer course(s), and or exam(s).

Who decides what transfer courses can earn major credit at La Verne?

The Registrar articulates approved courses not used for general education as electives toward the degree.  Courses identified as electives may be eligible for major credit.  The acceptance of transfer work in the major is determined by the major department.  If you’d like to have your transfer work reviewed for major applicability, please contact your major department, prior to your initial registration, if possible, or within your first semester at La Verne. All requests for major applicability should include supporting documentation such as course descriptions and syllabi, and the University of La Verne Major Course Substitution or Waiver Form.

Why haven’t all of my GE’s been fulfilled?  I took all my GE courses at my previous college.

  • When evaluating transfer course work, the Office of the Registrar takes different policies into account. First, we reference the sending institution’s accreditation and the level of the course. Courses must be at the baccalaureate level in order to be considered for transfer. Then, we determine which general education pattern a student is following: GE Track I or LVGE. Next, we determine if CSU/IGETC guidelines are applicable; finally we determine if the course has been previously reviewed and recorded in our Articulation database. If the previous guidelines do not apply, we will review the content of the course against the University of La Verne’s learning outcomes to determine general education or elective eligibility.
  •  If you feel a mistake has been made, or if you have additional information to provide about the content of the course(s), please submit a course review request using the Transfer Credit Review Form.

How can I appeal course review decision?

Course reviews can be submitted for a second review using the Transfer Credit Review Form. It is strongly advisable that a student provide additional information, such as a course syllabus or outline when submitting a course for a second review. The Associate Registrar will review the additional information. In some cases, courses will be sent for faculty review. Please note that faculty have two weeks to respond to an inquiry. If no response is received within that time frame the request will be sent to the Associate Dean of that College. The Associate Dean has one week to respond to the inquiry

When will the evaluation of my transfer work be completed?

Your admission evaluation will be processed in the order it was received from Admissions. Please note that only complete files will be processed.

When will my additional coursework be posted to my academic record?

Additional coursework is processed within 5-7 business days, depending on the date received.

How will I know if this additional coursework has been processed?

Although the Office of the Registrar does not send amended evaluations for additional coursework completed after matriculation, students can run their own Degree Audit Report by running a Degree/Program Evaluation. If you need assistance with running a Degree/Program Evaluation please contact your academic advisor.

I’m unable to register for a class because you haven’t received my most recent transcript. Can I show you my grade or an unofficial transcript?

The Evaluation staff cannot process unofficial transcripts nor can they override prerequisite requirements. Please speak with your advisor if you are unable to register for a class because our office has not received your most recent transcript.