Skip to main content

State Grants

Cal Grants are free money funded by the California Student Aid Commission to California (CSAC) residents who meet GPA and eligibility requirements and financial criteria. The grant is used to assist in paying for undergraduate education. The Commission will notify you of your preliminary Cal Grant eligibility. Cal Grant A (for middle and low income students) and Cal Grant B (for disadvantaged and low-income students) awards are available to students attending four-year schools.

A freshman who qualifies for a Cal Grant B will only receive a Cal Grant B Access award designed to cover living expenses, books, supplies, and transportation. When the Cal Grant is renewed or the student is beyond a freshman, the student will receive a Cal Grant B Tuition and Cal Grant B Access.

Cal Grant B Access funds will automatically be applied to your student account. To request the funds be refunded directly to you, complete the
Cal Grant B Access Refund form.

  • You may receive a Cal Grant for up to four (4) years (fifth additional year for Teacher Credential).
  • You must be enrolled at least half time (6 units per semester or 4 units per term) to be eligible unless you are a graduating senior in your final semester.

The Cal Grant maximum annual award amounts indicated below are the expected amounts, based on full time enrollment, at private institutions unless the state budget makes changes.

How to Apply for a Cal Grant

If you are an incoming freshman/transfer undergraduate student or a current La Verne student not awarded a Cal Grant, submit a FAFSA (or CADAA) and GPA Verification Form by the March 2 deadline. For instructions, click the following links.

ALERT! Create your WebGrants4students account to claim your Cal Grant Award and manage your account. Be sure to do the following:

  • confirm your school of attendance or make a school change to claim your grant award; and
  • complete your high school graduation certification so La Verne can report your disbursements.

ALERT! At La Verne, your Cal Grant award is a two-step process. Click the links below if your Cal Grant award is not on your Financial Aid Award notice or email the Office of Financial Aid.