The Center for Multicultural Services collaborates with individuals from numerous departments, in addition to the cultural and ethnic organizations to coordinate culturally-based graduation celebration ceremonies that complement the university’s commencement ceremonies. These cultural celebrations acknowledge and celebrate the achievements of La Verne students and highlight the accomplishments of individuals within her or his familial and cultural context.
The University of La Verne celebrates winter and spring cultural graduation celebrations. The winter Multicultural Graduation Celebration is a singular cultural graduation celebration that combines all students into a single celebration. There is also a multicultural “unity in diversity” sash specifically designed for this celebration.
The spring cultural graduation celebrations are comprised of several celebrations. The total number of students graduating in spring makes it untenable to have a singular cultural celebration. For this reason, there are four spring cultural graduation celebrations and they consist of: 1) Unity in Diversity Graduation Celebration (sash options include: Middle Eastern/Arabic, Multicultural, Pacific Islander/Asian, Rainbow, Black/African American, and Latinx), 2) Black Cultural Graduation Celebration, and 3) two Latinx Cultural Graduation Celebrations (the Latinx celebrations will be limited to 90 participants each).
During each of the cultural graduation celebrations, students are bestowed with the sash of their choice, based on sash options on hand, and given the opportunity to read to those present a pre-written 30 word statement of appreciation to those who have supported their academic journey. Each celebration becomes a personalized experience for the student, their family and friends.
Spring 2019 Cultural Graduation Celebrations
Registration site will be activated during the spring Grad Finale in March 2019, with registration deadline for spring Cultural Graduation Celebrations being Monday, May 6, 2019.
- Unity in Diversity Graduation Celebration: Thursday, May 16, 2019 from 5- 7pm in the Abraham Campus Center Ballrooms (this is a multicultural celebration where we invite all participants to attend. Current sash options include Middle Eastern/Arabic, Pacific Islander/Asian, Multicultural “Unity in Diversity,” Rainbow/Lavender, Black/African American, and Latinx). Doors open at 4pm. Register here.
- Latinx1 Cultural Graduation Celebration: Saturday, May 18, 2019 from 9:30- 11:00am. Doors open at 8:30am. To be held in the Sports Science & Athletics Pavilion. Register here.
- Black Cultural Graduation Celebration:Saturday, May 18, 2019 from 2:00- 3:30pm. Doors open at 1pm. To be held in the Sports Science & Athletics Pavilion. Register here.
- Latinx2 Cultural Graduation Celebration:Saturday, May 18, 2019 from 5:30- 7:00pm. Doors open at 4:30pm. To be held in the Sports Science & Athletics Pavilion. Register here.
Note: If you are participating in the Latinx celebration, you have the choice of the morning or evening celebration, but you must adhere to the one you pick because of the capacity of the space. In other words, after you have registered, you cannot switch from one to the other because it is more convenient for you or your family.
Students wishing to participate must be cleared for graduation during the respective Commencement season.
For the cultural graduation celebrations, students will wear their cap and gown, but not their academic hood. The cultural sashes will be bestowed during the celebration on each of the participating students.
Winter 2020 Multicultural Graduation Celebration
Registration site will be activated during the fall Grad Finale in November 2019, with registration deadline for winter Multicultural Graduation Celebration being Monday, January 6, 2020 at 5:00pm (PST).
- Multicultural Graduation Celebration—Saturday, January 25, 2020
Click on the following Flickr links to view photos from previous cultural celebrations:
|January 2018||Multicultural Graduation Celebration|
|May 2017||Rainbow Grad|
|May 2017||Pacific Islander/Asian American Grad|
|May 2017||Latina/o Grad|
|May 2017||Black/African American Grad|
|January 2017||Multicultural Graduation Celebration|