The Center for Multicultural Services collaborates with individuals from numerous departments, in addition to the cultural and ethnic organizations to coordinate culturally-based graduation celebration ceremonies that complement the university’s commencement ceremonies. The cultural celebrations DO NOT replace the formal graduation commencement ceremonies. These cultural celebrations acknowledge and celebrate the achievements of La Verne students and highlight the accomplishments of individuals within the student’s familial and cultural context.
The University of La Verne celebrates winter and spring cultural graduation celebrations. The winter Multicultural Graduation Celebration is a singular cultural graduation celebration that combines all students into a single celebration. There is also a multicultural “unity in diversity” sash specifically designed for this celebration.
Special Arrangements for Spring 2020
Postponed Cultural Graduation Celebrations
This year, due to the pandemic and the uncertainty of when the shelter-in-place and social distancing guidelines will be lifted, we are tentatively scheduling the Spring 2020 Cultural Graduation Celebrations to take place on January 25 and January 26, 2021. We are making significant adjustments to how we will celebrate this year. In lieu of the four cultural celebrations that we would typically do in spring, we are planning two celebrations, and both of these will allow the entire community to come together and celebrate together. This is not meant to take anything away from anyone, but it is simply an opportunity for all us to come together in celebration and recognition of each other given what we have all experienced.
Initially, we will plan for the Unity in Diversity Cultural Graduation Celebration to take place on Monday, January 25, 2021 from 3-5pm and if warranted, we will open up registration for the Tuesday, January 26, 2021 celebration scheduled from 3-5pm.
All ULV spring 2020 graduates will receive the Eventbrite link to register during the summer months. As soon as we have clarity in terms of social distance protocols, we will contact you or please contact us to be certain you receive all the pertinent information to participate.
Spring 2020 Cultural Graduation Celebration (typical schedule)
The spring cultural graduation celebrations are comprised of several celebrations. The total number of students graduating in spring makes it untenable to have a single cultural graduation celebration. For this reason, there are four spring cultural graduation celebrations and they consist of:
- Unity in Diversity Cultural Graduation Celebration
- Black Cultural Graduation Celebration
- Two Latinx Cultural Graduation Celebrations (limited to 90 participants each)
The sash options* that students can purchase in the University of La Verne bookstore are the following: For a visual and to purchase sashes, please visit the Campus Store.
- Black/Kente cultural sash
- Latinx/Recuerdo cultural sash
- Middle Eastern/Arabic cultural sash
- Multicultural/Unity in Diversity cultural sash
- Native American/Indigenous cultural sash
- Pacific Islander/Asian cultural sash
- Rainbow/Lavender cultural sash
* All sashes need to be approved through Commencement Office.
During each of the cultural graduation celebrations, students are bestowed with the sash of their choice, based on which sash they purchase at the ULV bookstore, and given the opportunity to read to those present a pre-written 30 word statement of appreciation to those who have supported their academic journey. Each celebration becomes a personalized experience for the student, their family and friends.
Winter 2021 Multicultural Graduation Celebration
For participation in the winter Multicultural Graduation Celebration on January 27 & 28, 2021, you must purchase your sash from the University of La Verne bookstore and register via the Eventbrite link that will be set up prior to the cultural celebration. As we near the date of the cultural celebration, this link will be sent to all students cleared for graduation during winter 2021. The link itself will be activated during fall 2020 Grad Finale—usually in November.
Two celebrations are being planned, however, the Wednesday, January 27th cultural celebration will be offered initially and only if there is a need, based on total number of participants, will the January 28th celebration take place. So, please sign up early for the Jan. 27th celebration.
Registration deadline for winter Multicultural Graduation Celebration is on Friday, January 8, 2021 at 5pm PST.
To access the information about the cultural graduation celebration sashes, please visit the Campus Store.
Spring 2021 Cultural Graduation Celebrations
Registration site will be activated during the spring Grad Finale in March 2021, with registration deadline for spring cultural graduation celebrations being Monday, May 3, 2021.
- Unity in Diversity Cultural Graduation Celebration: Thursday, May 13, 2021 from 5-7pm in the Ann and Steve Morgan Auditorium (this is a multicultural celebration where we invite all participants to attend. Current sash options include: Black/Kente, Latinx/Recuerdo, Middle Eastern/Arabic, Multicultural/Unity in Diversity, Native American/Indigenous, Pacific Islander/Asian, and Rainbow/Lavender) Doors open at 4pm. Registration link will be made available during March 2021 Grad Finale.
- Latinx1 Cultural Graduation Celebration: Saturday, May 15, 2021 from 9:30-11:30am. Doors open at 8:30am. To be held in the Sports Science & Athletics Pavilion. Registration link will be made available during March 2021 Grad Finale.
- Latinx2 Cultural Graduation Celebration: Saturday, May 15, 2021 from 2-4pm. Doors open at 1pm. To be held in the Sports Science & Athletics Pavilion. Registration link will be made available during March 2021 Grad Finale.
- Black Cultural Graduation Celebration: Saturday, May 15, 2021 from 5:30-7:30pm. Doors open at 4:30pm. To be held in the Sports Science & Athletics Pavilion. Registration link will be made available during March 2021 Grad Finale.
Note: If you are participating in the Latinx celebration, you have the choice of the morning or afternoon celebration, but you must adhere to the one you pick because the capacity of the space. In other words, after you register, you cannot switch from one to the other because it is more convenient for you or your family. Thank you for your understanding.
Students wishing to participate must be cleared for graduation during the respective Commencement season.
For the cultural graduation celebrations, students will wear their cap and gown, but not their academic hood. The ULV cultural sashes can be purchased in the Campus Store.
Click on the following Flickr links to view photos from previous cultural celebrations:
|January 2018||Multicultural Graduation Celebration|
|May 2017||Rainbow Grad|
|May 2017||Pacific Islander/Asian American Grad|
|May 2017||Latina/o Grad|
|May 2017||Black/African American Grad|
|January 2017||Multicultural Graduation Celebration|