College of Business and Public Management to Provide Free Tax Filing Services
Now in its ninth year, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is again available at the University of La Verne for local eligible taxpayers to receive free tax services.
The VITA program at La Verne is available on Saturdays from February 1 through April 4, 2020, to local residents.
All tax preparation services are provided between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the Cogley Building located at 2180 Third Street in La Verne.
Scheduling an appointment time is strongly encouraged. While walk-ins are welcome, they will be served on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Those interested in additional information on the VITA program or seeking to make an appointment can call 909-448-4028, or email VITA@laverne.edu.
What is VITA?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is an IRS‐sponsored community program that helps low -to- moderate-income (generally annual income is no greater than $54,000) families and individuals located in La Verne and surrounding communities.
What is the cost?
All volunteers are IRS certified and will assist with both e‐filing and paper filing at no cost to the taxpayer.
What to bring to the first day of your appointment
- Proof of identity (such as a valid driver’s license or other government issued picture ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents, and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W‐2, W‐2G, 1099‐R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total amount paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- Tuition Expenses Form 1098-T
- Form 1095A – issued by the Marketplace if you purchased health care insurance through the Marketplace in 2014
- Exemption Certificate Number (ECN) – issued by the Marketplace.
To file taxes electronically for a married couple filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.