Students Provide Free Tax Assistance
University of La Verne accounting students have provided free tax services during tax season to eligible taxpayers through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program for more than a decade.
“It’s clearly a threefold benefit,” said Accounting Professor and Site Coordinator Jose Valdovinos. “Students get to apply what they’ve learned and gain practical experience, service counts toward CPA and community service requirements, and it’s a service to the community – one of ULV’s direct values.”
Last year, students assisted with 165 returns generating $255,000 in refunds. More than 200 students have participated in this program since 2011.
What is VITA?
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is an IRS-sponsored community program that helps low -to- moderate-income (generally annual income is no greater $70,000) families and individuals located in La Verne and surrounding communities.
What is the cost?
All volunteers are IRS certified and will assist with both e‐filing and paper filing at no cost to the taxpayer.
Hours (Now through April 8, 2022)
Saturdays 9 a.m. to Noon
How to make an appointment
Appointments are strongly encouraged due to limited capacity and can be made by emailing VITA@laverne.edu. Walk-ins will be accepted on a first-come first serve basis.
What to bring to the first day of your appointment
- Proof of identity (such as a valid driver’s license or other government issued picture ID)
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Brokerage statements 1099-B and SSA 1099
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total amount paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- Form 1098-T Tuition Expenses
- Form 1095A – issued by the Marketplace if you purchased health care insurance through the Marketplace in 2021
- Exemption Certificate Number (ECN) – issued by the issued by the Marketplace
- To file taxes electronically for a married couple filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Where is the VITA site located?
University of La Verne Cogley Building
2180 Third Street, La Verne, CA 91750