Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Defined
Diversity is an active and intentional commitment to support and embrace difference and multiplicity for the sake of expanding knowledge, educating capable citizens, developing the whole person, and serving our local and global communities. Equity in action being the intentional assessment to promote and ensure fairness within access, resources & opportunity while seeking to eliminate barriers that hinder the success of students, faculty, and staff. Inclusion being the intentional engaging of persons and groups while seeking to understand and support the entire ULV community.
The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will offer training and professional development opportunities for all members of the campus community, including Safe Zone, Cultivating Inclusion professional development sessions, and Building Inclusive Communities. If you would like to schedule a customized guest lecture or workshop, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to collaborate with the ODEI on a specific program or initiative, or would like consultation concerning a policy or practice, please contact us at email@example.com.
Anti-Racism Teach In
Further Readings Referenced During the Anti-Racism Teach In
- LaVerne Office of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Resources
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard to Talk to White People About Racism
- Ibram Kendi on ‘How to be an Antiracist’ + How to be an Antiracist (book)
- Dog Whistle Politics: How coded racial appeals have reinvented racism & wrecked the middle class
- A Riot is the Language of the Unheard – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- How do we change America by Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor in the New Yorker
- America, this is your chance Michelle Alexander
- Take the Harvard Implicit Association Test
- Andrew M. Ibrahim – Anti-racist, fear zone, learning zone, growth zone
- White people 4 Black lives
- Glenn Singleton’s book Courageous Conversations About Race A Field Guide for Achieving Equity in Schools + resources