Students are required to report lost or stolen keys immediately to the Housing & Residential Life Office. Charges to replace lost or stolen keys will be posted to the student’s account and are as follows:
- Room Lock Change: $125
- Security Key: $25
- Mailbox Key: $25
If a conflict arises in a resident’s living environment, all those involved must put forth their best effort to resolve the problem. Sometimes exceptional circumstances occur where some students may find they wish to change their housing assignment. In such situations, the following guidelines apply:
- All room change requests need to start with the floor/wing’s RA. This is to ensure that an effort has been put forth to resolving the conflict.
- Requests for reasons of race, religion, sexual orientation, or national origin, will not be honored.
- Room changes can only occur with the approval of a Resident Director, Resident Life Coordinator or the Director for Residential Life. Room changes without the approval of appropriate Housing Staff will result in students being asked to move back to their original room, are subject to conduct action, and may result in charges being placed on the student’s account.
- No room changes will be done the first two weeks or last two weeks of a semester.
Room Change Procedures
Should a room change be necessary, the procedures listed below will be followed:
- Fill out the Room Change Request form.
- All students involved in the room change must be in agreement before any room change request is considered. All students involved must sign and date the form.
- Return the form to the Resident Director or Resident Life Coordinator for review. The Resident Director or Resident Life Coordinator may request a meeting with the student(s) before reaching a decision.
- If approved, the student(s) will be informed of room type options available and will be asked to assume the responsibility for any and all cost differences resulting in the room change.
- If approved, the student(s) will be assigned a date and time to move and will need to follow proper check-out procedures.
- During COVID-19, room changes will only be conducted in emergency circumstances.
NOTE: The University reserves the right to change room assignments in the interest of health, discipline, or the general welfare of the resident and the University.
Release From Housing License Agreement
A student’s Housing License Agreement is a legally binding contract with the University of La Verne for the full academic year and all conditions are strictly enforced. Occasionally, serious circumstances arise that lead students to request a release from their Housing License Agreement. In such situations, the following guidelines apply:
- Requesting a release does NOT guarantee that one will be granted.
- Moving out or turning in keys does not constitute release from contractual obligations.
- Roommate conflicts, signing rental agreements at off-campus housing locations after signing the University of La Verne Housing License Agreement, noise, or dislike of the food will not be considered as valid reasons for being released from one’s Housing License Agreement.
- If not properly approved, a student will be held responsible for the full term of the License Agreement.
- Any request to be released from License Agreement needs to be received in writing fourteen (14) days prior to the intended move out day.
- Students should refer to “terms and conditions” under the License Agreement for additional information on cancellations.
License Agreement Release Procedures
Should a License Agreement release be necessary, please follow the steps below:
- Complete the “License Agreement Request Form” available on the Housing website.
- Request will be reviewed and written notification of decision will be available within two (2) weeks. Please note that a meeting with the student may be requested before a decision is available.
- If approved, the student will be notified in writing in regards to the conditions of his/her License Agreement release (i.e. deposit status, financial responsibility) and expected move-out day.
- Students will be expected to follow the move-out process outlined in the Resident Handbook.
Housing Refund Policy
Students released from their Housing License Agreement may have charges pro-rated based on the date of the approved cancellation/release. Pro-rated schedule is as follows:
Cancellation By Date
% Room and Board Fees Refunded
|Friday of 2nd week of Semester||90%|
|Friday of 4th week of Semester||75%|
|Friday of 6th week of Semester||50%|
|Friday of 8th week of Semester||25%|
|After Friday of 8th week of Semester||0%|
Revocation of License Agreement
The University may revoke the License Agreement based on the following conditions:
- A student’s breach of conditions in License Agreement including, but not limited to, failure to abide by Housing and/or University Policies or to meet all financial obligations.
- A violation of State or Federal law.
- Failure to maintain status as a full time student.
- Administrative necessity of the University.
A student whose License Agreement is revoked for the conditions named above (except “administrative necessity of the University”) may be held financially responsible for the full term of the License Agreement.
A student whose License Agreement is revoked will be expected to follow move-out procedures.
Move Out Process
The following need to be completed when a resident moves-out of the residence halls.
- Contact the respective RA or assigned staff member to make an appointment to move-out of the room. The appointment must be schedule at least 24 hours in advance. If the RA is not available or if the resident prefers, an express check-out may be done Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm at the Housing Office.
- Students must clean their section of the room (dust, sweep, vacuum, remove trash, etc.) and put all furniture back in the room’s original set-up.
- Students must remove all possessions from room, including trash.
- Students must meet with their RA or assigned staff member to check-out or go to the Housing Office to do an express check-out.
- Students must return all keys assigned to them at move in (i.e. room key, exterior key, etc.) and lock all windows and doors.
- A “Room Condition Inventory” walk through will be done of the students’ room after they have moved out. Any damages to room or failure to return all assigned keys will result in charges being posted to the student’s account.
- Students failing to follow or complete the move-out process appropriately may have charges for improper check-out or damages posted to their account.
- Students who violate policy (a) during the last two weeks of the term/semester, (b) after notification from the housing office that they must vacate, or (c) upon approval for contract cancellation may have charges for improper check-out posted to their account.
Note: Improper check out charge is $100.
This is an option provided by the Housing Office to make the move-out process more convenient and easier for students. Express checkouts can be done Monday through Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM. They take the place of having to set up an appointment with an RA and/or meeting with the RA to check-out. Students are expected to follow all other check-out procedures and report to the Housing Office to turn in their keys once all other steps are completed.