The Graduate Council serves as an advisory group to the Provost and university administration on all matters regarding graduate education at the University of La Verne.
Graduate Council responsibilities include reviewing graduate programs admissions and policies and making recommendations regarding issues that affect graduate programs.
- Composition: The Graduate Council shall be composed of the chairs and directors (or their designees) from departments, colleges, and interdepartmental programs offering graduate curricula at the University of La Verne.
- Council Chair: A chair of the Graduate Council shall be elected by the members of the Graduate Council as defined above. Nominations for chair may come only from members of the Council.
- Council Chair Term: The Chair of the Graduate Council shall be elected for a two-year renewable term, with a maximum two consecutive terms limit. The Chair of the Graduate Council (or designee) represents the council at meetings of the Provost’s Council. The Chair of the Graduate Council (or designee) also represents the council at meetings of the Dean’s Council as invited to attend by the Provost.
- Recorder: The Chair of the Graduate Council may appoint a recorder for proceedings of the council.
- Ex-Officio members: The Assistant Dean of Graduate Academic Services and Associate Dean of Admissions (or their designees) serve as ex-officio members of the Graduate Council. Staff from departments, colleges, and interdepartmental programs that offer graduate curricula may also serve as ex officio members of the Graduate Council.
- Open meetings: Others will be invited to attend specific meetings and present information to the Council. The Council meetings are open but at times may need to discuss issues in a closed meeting with only members present.