Skip to main content

Get Started


Know your education benefit eligiblity

If you have never used your education benefit and/or are not sure if you are eligible, or have questions regarding your remaining benefit, please check with the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) by phone:  (888) 442-4551.

Create or insure access to your eBenefits account

If you do not already have one, create an VA eBenefits account to check on the status of benefits, payments and request future VA services or information.

Check in with the Veteran Students Success Center

We are here to assist you!  Via phone:  909-448-1461/1464.  Via email:   Visit us on campus at 1860 3rd Street, La Verne CA 91750.

Apply for or update your education benefit

All benefit eligible new ULV veteran students, whether a first time VA benefit user or transferring  benefit use to a new program, should apply for, or update his/her education benefits.  The online form will complete necessary documents to include the mandatory  VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program/Place.  Link here:  VA Online Benefit Application/Update Form

Apply for admission via that program’s webpage

Many of our programs waive the application fee for veterans and active duty. If you have questions regarding applying to a program call Veteran Students Success.

Apply for FAFSA

It is important for all students to apply for federal student aid via FASFA online to determine eligibility for financial aid or student friendly loans.   You are able to decline loans you are deemed eligibile for, but all financial aid is only awarded/distributed to those who apply for FASFA.  School code is 001216.  Link:

Submit DD214, VA Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) and all requested documents/transcripts

Scan and email copies of your VA CoE, DD214, and if you are changing the school to which your benefits are being paid, submit a “print page” copy of the completed VA’s Change of Program Form,  from the VA’s application website to our Certifying Official at  NOTE: If you have not received a CoE from the VA, you should be able to see an eligibility page on your eBenefits account.  You can print page and submit a copy of that page until you are able to submit a copy of your official CoE.

Transcripts must be submitted online.  ULV school code:  001216.  For undergraduate degrees only, submit your JST (Joint Services Transcript) online via the ACE (American Council on Education) link:  ACE Military and Veteran Students.

Request a meeting with the program related academic advisor/counselor

Call the program number listed on the webpage and request a meeting to create an Education Plan.  Please note that all required transcripts must be received to create an official Ed Plan, but if you have unofficial and temporary Ed Plan can be created.  If you need assistance with scheduling please call Veteran Students Success.

NOTE!!  All students using VA education benefits should, on registering for or adding/dropping classes, submit the ULV online Request for V.A. Benefits Certification Form.  The University Certifying Official will not certify your classes with the VA without receiving the form.  Late submission may delay your tuition/housing payments.  All forms can be located via the Veteran Students Success home webpage.

I’m admitted!  Now what?

You will receive a letter with important information, instructions and pass code to get you started.  If you need assistance, please call the Veterans Center for assistance.  You will need to have access to the acceptance letter and accompanying documents.

How long can it take to receive VA benefits?

First-time recipients should receive their benefits in approximately six to eight weeks. Continuing students should receive their benefits in approximately three to four weeks. If your program qualifies, BHA should start at the end of the first month of attending certified classes (prorated for dates attended) and the book/supply stipend ($1000/year) should arrive prorated with each semester/term, often with first BHA of the same semester/term. BHA rate tables are updated on August 1 of each year.

Can I be eligible for two or more education benefits?

You may be eligible for more than one VA education benefit program. However, you may only receive payments from one program at a time.

When is my school responsible for refunding VA?

Schools are required to report, without delay, the enrollment, interruption, and termination of attendance for each person enrolled in an educational assistance program administered by VA.

In addition to reporting any changes in enrollment status, schools will be held responsible for refunding payments as appropriate. The following list explains when a school will be responsible for refunding VA:

  1. The student never attended classes for which he/she was certified (regardless of the reason for non-attendance).
  2. The student completely withdraws on or before the first day of the term. (If a student reduces, the debt shall be assessed to the student.)
  3. The school received a payment for the wrong student.
  4. The school received a duplicate payment.
  5. The school submitted an amended enrollment certification and reported reduced tuition and fee charges, reduced Yellow Ribbon amount, or both.
  6. The student died during the term, or before the start of the term.
  7. VA issued payment above the amount certified on the enrollment certification that was used to process the payment (VA data entry error).

*All other overpayments will remain the responsibility of the student.

What are my responsibilities as a student?

As a veteran using your education benefits, you are responsible to notify the University Certifying Official at immediately of any action affecting your enrollment status – drop, add, or a change of certificate program goal. Failure to do so may result in termination of benefits.

You are responsible for maintaining satisfactory progress toward the stated certificate program objective. Satisfactory progress is defined as a grade point average of “C” for credit programs and/or an “average” for noncredit programs. Failure to maintain the required grade point average could result in the suspension of veteran education benefits.