General Education and Major Requirements

What are the general education requirements?

General education refers to general education requirements. General education classes are classes that are not necessarily part of your major that you need to earn a degree from the University of La Verne.  Certain general area requirements must be fulfilled in order to graduate from La Verne. Students follow either Track I or Track II general education requirements, depending on what catalog year they came under and how many units they transferred in at time of admission. If you are unsure which track you are following, consult your catalog or stop by the Office of Academic Advising in Woody Hall to pick up a general education checklist or download one from our website. Academic Advising is ready to answer all of your general education requirement questions.

Why do I have to take general education courses?

All degree-seeking undergraduates are required to take a prescribed number of courses in the liberal education area that is generally referred to as “General Education (“GE”).  GE courses are designed to provide students with a balanced college education across a variety of disciplines such as the arts, social sciences, and the sciences, and to instill onto our graduates the central values of the University as expressed in our Mission Statement.  We believe that a well-rounded La Verne graduate should have the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that are crucial to success in the 21st century world.  General education requirements also provide students with knowledge in a broad range of areas valued by employers.  In addition, general education helps students to understand and relate to the diverse populations they will work with in their chosen professions.

How do I keep track of my general education coursework?

Most simply, follow the general education checklist for the appropriate general education track (Track I or Track II). Be careful not to duplicate areas. Ask your advisor if you are unsure about a specific class fulfilling a specific general education area. Pay careful attention to the Attribute coding shown on your checklist, in the catalog and on the schedule of courses. If the coding is not indicated, the course is most likely not going to fulfill a general education area. Ask your academic advisor or the Academic Advising office if you are not sure.

Can I get “D” grades in general education courses?

Yes, (with the exception of Written Communication) if they do not count for major courses and if they are taken at La Verne.

I completed my general education requirements before I transferred, I’m done right?

Sorry, no. Refer to your catalog under the Transfer Policy section for appropriate general education Track I or Track II requirements.

I transferred in with an AA and/or an AS degree. I have fulfilled all my general education requirements, right?

Probably not. Check your official evaluation of coursework then refer to your catalog under the Transfer Policy section for appropriate general education Track I or Track II requirements.

Can I use a course from my major for a general education requirement?

Yes, if the course in question meets a general education requirement. However, there are specific guidelines to follow regarding which areas and how often you can “double dip” depending on whether you are following Track I or Track II.  Refer to your catalog or your general education checklist for the policies.

Can I take major course requirements for credit or no credit instead of a letter grade?

No. In some instances such as you took a course that will count toward a major requirement prior to declaring your major, you may appeal to the department and the undergraduate appeals committee to accept credit for that specific course instead of a letter grade.

I’m doing a double major and/or a minor-can some courses apply to both or all three?

No. Courses required for your major only fulfill one major requirement. If the same course is required in your double major and/or minor substitute courses must be taken and approved by your advisor and/or the department.

Do I have to select a major and is there a deadline for selecting a major?

Yes, you must select a college major in order to graduate with a bachelor degree from the University of La Verne.  The semester hours needed to earn a major vary by departments.  Although there is no hard deadline to select a major, we strongly recommend that you select a major no later than the end of the freshman year; if you are a transfer student, no later than the end of your first semester at La Verne.  Because the selection of a college major is an important part of a baccalaureate education, it is critical that your selection of a major is done as early as possible because you want to avoid unnecessary delays in your graduation within four years.

I am not sure about my chosen major, how can I change it?

You just fill out a “Change of Advisor/Major” form and submit it to our office in Woody Hall.  Our office will request your file from your current advisor and send it to the new department for assignment to a new advisor and then notify you.  The sooner you make a decision on your major, the easier it will be for you to begin the new major and stay on-track to earning degree requirements and graduating within four years.

My major is listed as “Major Not Declared” on the La Verne Portal but I am not sure about what major to select.  What can I do?

The selection of a major is one of the most important academic decisions you’ll need to make – being undeclared about a major is not unusual, nor is it unusual for students who have chosen a major to change their minds at least once.  The University of La Verne has many resources available to you in selecting a major, including choosing a major workshops, your advisor, and the Career Center.  Consider your values and interests in selecting a major, but also think about the timing of making a decision that might impact your graduation (within 4 years) the time needed to complete all your degree requirements.