Grading Issues

It is impossible for me to complete my course.  What should I do?

With a formal written petition to the professor submitted only through MyLaVerne, a student may request an “INC” (incomplete grade) because of illness or other justifiable cause (substantiation may be required by the professor). The petition must state a completion date and the work to be completed and be filed before the last day of the semester. See the catalog under incomplete grades for details regarding completion dates. If your work is not completed before the deadline your grade could rollover to an “F.” Incompletes are granted at the discretion of the instructor.

I have a directed study, independent study, field work course or senior project (or culminating project) that I will not have finished by the last day of the semester. What should I do?

Speak with your professor before the end of the semester. You may be able to receive an IP (in progress grade). You will have one year to finish the course before your IP grade becomes an “F” or a NCR (no credit).

I received a NG on my grade report. What does that mean?

NG is a temporary grade posted when the professor has not indicated a grade for a particular student. Speak with your professor immediately to find out why he or she did not give you a grade. A NG must rollover to a grade before that course and semester hours can be counted toward your degree.

I received a bad grade in one of my classes. What should I do?

Make an appointment with your advisor to discuss your choices. To change the grade, the same course must be repeated at La Verne, if taken at La Verne. The first grade will always show on your transcript, however it will not be counted into your grade point average. “D” grades are passing for general education required courses, except WRT 110 and WRT 111 in which a C- is the minimum grade to graduate.

What’s the difference between withdrawing and dropping from a class?

If you drop a class during the add/drop period, the particular course will not show on your transcripts. A mark of “W” will show on your transcript if you want to stop attending the course during the first 60% of the semester after the add/drop date but before the last day to withdraw. Students who withdraw from courses will still be charged tuition for course teaching they received from the beginning of the semester to the day that they withdrew from the class so timeliness in dropping and withdrawing from classes is especially important. You need to officially drop or withdraw from a course as soon as you stop attending or you will receive an “F” or “NCR” grade which will negatively affect your GPA. Program changes can be made at the Office of the Registrar. Be sure to follow the deadlines listed on the academic calendar on the Registrar’s web site.

Are there any disadvantages to withdrawing?

All withdraws will show as “W’s” on your transcript. Having too many “W’s” may be hard to explain to an admissions committee at other schools as well as La Verne.

How do I withdraw from school either permanently or to take a semester off?

You can obtain a withdrawal/leave of absence form from the Office of the Registrar, complete it and have it signed by Student Accounts and Financial Aid. You must drop or withdraw from all registered courses. If you are submitting the request past the last day to withdraw from classes you must also submit an appeal. Once the form is complete turn it into Academic Advising for processing.  Submitting a Leave of Absence will help you to take time off from your college studies, but will also facilitate your return to La Verne at the end of the Leave of Absence period, but prior to its expiration.

Do I have to reapply to return to La Verne?

As a traditional undergraduate student if you are absent from the University for more than 2 semesters, you must reapply with the Admissions Office.

How do I make the Dean’s List?

You must be a full time undergraduate with a minimum GPA of 3.75 (with letter grades in at least the minimum number of semester hours to be considered full time).

What is academic standing?

Academic standing categories are:

  • Good Standing: your cumulative GPA is 2.0
  • Academic Warning: your semester GPA falls below 2.0
  • Academic Probation: your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0
  • Academic Disqualification: you are on academic probation and fail to earn a 2.0 La Verne GPA the subsequent semester.

What happens when I am disqualified?

If you feel your circumstances have improved you may make an appointment with the Dean of Academic Support and Retention to discuss the possibility of reinstatement to La Verne.

How do I get back in Good Standing?

You return to good standing when your cumulative GPA is above 2.0.

What is the fastest way to bring up my GPA?

Repeating courses at La Verne is the fastest way to bring up your GPA. You can take courses elsewhere and transfer them in for subject credit but that is not the recommended path since doing so will not affect the GPA calculation from the deficient grade in the equivalent La Verne course nor substantially bring up your GPA.