Leave of Absence or Withdrawal

DocuSign for Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from the University*

We adopted DocuSign to streamline the process of collecting signatures from academic advisors and Woody Hall offices for either a leave of absence (LOA) or withdrawal from the university.  This process applies to traditional undergraduates.  Woody Hall offices include the University Registrar, Office of Financial Aid, and Student Accounts.

CAPA/ROC or graduate students should consult with their respective program directors or regional campuses to file a LOA or withdrawal; the PDF “Form Only” is also available for download: Form Only.

Instructions (Traditional Undergraduates Only)

Traditional undergraduate, you will need to have an active email, but you do not need a DocuSign account.

The Office of Academic Advising will initiate the process by accepting your notification (intent) to file a LOA or withdrawal (read the section(s) below that apply to you).   To initiate the process, select one of the following options:

  • Email us at advising@laverne.edu, or
  • Call us at (909) 448-4510, or
  • Visit us in Abraham Campus Center, 2nd Floor.

Staff will speak with you, the student, about your decision to withdraw or take a leave of absence.  After consultation, staff will email you a DocuSign-generated email.  When you receive the email, follow the “student instructions” and complete the marked portions and digitally sign the form.  Your digital signature initiates the process of collecting all the Woody Hall office signatures one office at a time, including your academic advisor or dean.  You will get a copy of the completed form with all the signatures.  Advising staff will record the LOA or withdrawal on the student record.

Leave of Absence from the University

All undergraduate students who desires to interrupt their studies and desire to return to La Verne at a later date may apply for a LOA.  Submitting an LOA helps the university to know when you intend to leave, for what reason, and for how long.  Knowing this information helps us to facilitate referrals as needed if financial, academic, or personal hardships are affecting continuous enrollment.  Also, filing an LOA secures your active status, facilitating the resumption of studies at the conclusion of the LOA.  You should read the Handbook for important details about leaving campus on a temporary basis:

See the DocuSign* section to initiate the intent to file a leave of absence.

Withdrawal from the University

A traditional undergraduate who wishes to withdraw from the University permanently must file an intent to withdraw.  See the DocuSign* section above to initiate the intent to withdraw.

Graduate or CAPA/ROC students should contact their academic advisors or CAPA/ROC offices to initiate the process to withdraw.

Withdrawing or Dropping Courses  (All LOA and Withdrawn Students)

If you fail to officially drop/withdraw from classes (and abandon your courses) you risk receiving failing grades.  La Verne does not automatically drop you from courses you are not attending.  The effective date of withdrawal is the date you officially withdrew from all courses or the final day of the semester.  If you abandon your courses and do not formally withdraw, you are subject to administrative termination of your “active student” status after two consecutive semesters and will be required to reapply for admission.

Students who withdraw from courses or withdraw from the university, must vacate university housing.

Clearing All Holds (All LOA and Withdrawn Students)

If you leave the University on a LOA or permanently through withdrawal, you should ensure that all financial balances are cleared, all library books are returned, and all holds are removed.  Failure to clear your account of all these items may result in restrictions to some academic records or the right to registration in courses in future academic terms.  Also, if you fail to clear financial balances, you may be subject to collection proceedings.

Financial Aid Recipients (All LOA and Withdrawn Students)

Avoid delays in finalizing your LOA or withdrawal.  The Office of Financial Aid will not sign the LOA/withdrawal document until you have completed your financial aid exit counseling online.

If you received (accepted) any federal loans, you must complete financial aid exit counseling.  Visit the exit counseling website (https://studentaid.gov/exit-counseling/) to complete the process.

Make sure you select the current loan/academic year for exit counseling to avoid further delays.  Also, it takes up to 72-hours for proof of completion to transfer from the StudentAid servers to the ULV Financial Aid records.  If you have urgency to complete the LOA or withdrawal process, send proof of completion (screenshot or attached document) to finaid@laverne.edu.