How many semester hours do I need to graduate?

A minimum of 128 semester hour; completion of all major requirements (vary by major), general education courses, and elective courses.  There are residency minimums based on your catalog of matriculation.  Review your catalog and Degree/Program Evaluation for specific requirements.

“Apply to graduate?” What do you mean?

Yes. You must apply to graduate by filling out an Application for Graduation form, pay the graduation fee in Student Accounts, and turn the form in to the Registrar’s Office. This will begin the evaluation of all your coursework by the Office of the Registrar. You will receive a graduation evaluation showing you exactly what course(s) you will have left or in progress to complete your degree and graduate.

When must I apply to graduate?

Academic Advising recommends that you apply for graduation before you leave campus for winter break of your junior year. This will give students time to take courses over the summer and make any adjustments to their senior year schedules, if necessary.

What if I miss the deadline to apply for graduation?

The Office of the Registrar may take late applications and if so, they will be processed on a first come first serve basis. You may be added to the ceremony if time permits. If you are extremely late, your name will not be printed on the commencement announcement.

When do I get my diploma?

Your diploma is mailed to you once all your grades are in and the Office of the Registrar verifies that you have met all the requirements, approximately three months after the end of the semester.

What about graduating with honors?

In order to graduate with honors refer to Academic Information in the La Verne catalog and reference the section “Graduation and Honors.”

What are Departmental Honors?

Most departments require students to apply for departmental honors thereby showing their high achievement in their majors. Inquire within your department for the necessary requirements to receive departmental honors.

I “graduated” last semester but I failed one of my last classes at La Verne.  Now what?

First of all, technically, you have not “graduated.”  If you meant to say that you participated in Commencement, this involvement in an important ceremony should not be mistaken with “graduation” which is defined as the completion of all degree requirements (upon acceptance of passing grades) and the posting of the date of degree completion by the University Registrar.  If you were cleared to participate in Commencement, but failed to complete units or subject areas, you can complete any pending requirements at La Verne or in transfer (in consultation with your advisor) before the University Registrar can clear you as “graduated” and before a diploma can be ordered for you.

In order to retake the course at La Verne you must submit a Petition to the Undergraduate Academic Appeals Committee to our office for an extension of time to complete your degree.  Students are not automatically allowed an extension.  This is an appeals process and you must explain what happened and have a completion plan in mind.  If your petition is approved you must pay the appropriate appeals fee before you will be allowed to re-register for the course and finish your degree requirements.  If you decide to take an equivalent course at another college that the Registrar’s Office has approved as equivalent and transfer it in keep in mind that you must arrange for an official transcript from that college to be sent to the Registrar’s Office and you must have a cumulative GPA at La Verne of at least 2.0 and be in Good Standing at La Verne in order to receive your degree from La Verne.  Your degree will be posted effective the date you finish your last requirements, not the date you walked in the Commencement ceremony.

A note of caution: unless you have a diploma or a final transcript from the University of La Verne that proves your degree completion date, you should not claim (verbally or in writing) that you “graduated” from the University of La Verne to current or prospective employers or graduate degree programs. 

In many cases, these third parties will ask you to show proof of degree completion in making hiring, promotion, or admission decisions.  You don’t want to give the impression that you were misleading or untruthful about your educational accomplishments.