Academic Issues and Grades

Who’s my advisor?

If you have declared a major, your advisor will most likely be a faculty member in your area(s) of study (your chosen major(s) or minor(s).  The Office of Academic Advising advise undeclared students.

Once an academic advisor is assigned to you, his or her name will be shown within the MyLaVerne portal.  The following steps will help you to view your advisor’s name: Login to your portal > Click on Student Information, select the drop down menu > click on Student Information > Select the current term (semester) > View your academic advisor(s)’ name(s) and other information.

For questions about academic advisor assignments or changes, please visit the the Office of Academic Advising.  Online changes to your major and/or your academic advisor can be done using our online form.

Do I need to see an advisor to register for classes or change my schedule?

Yes, all traditional undergraduates must have their registration AAC code given to them by their advisors to register and add/drop classes online. Only your assigned advisor has your academic advising file and can give you all the information you need to make an informed choice, help you to avoid costly mistakes and help you graduate on time.

I lost my Advisor Approval Code (AAC).  Where can I get it again?

If you have not yet registered for any classes for the semester you should go back to your advisor to get your AAC.  If you have already registered for some classes and just need to change your schedule (add or drop classes), you can find your AAC for the semester by logging on to MyLaVerne.  To access the code: (1) click on Student Services and Financial Aid, (2) click on Registration, (3) click on Advisor Approval Code.

How do I check my registration day and time or holds?

To check your day and time of registration and whether or not you have holds on your record follow these steps:

  • Log into MyLaverne through the Portal’s Quicklinks
  • Click on “Student Services/Financial Aid”
  • Click on “Check Your Registration Status”
  • Select Term (i.e. the upcoming semester) and then click on submit.

If you have holds, click on the View Holds at the bottom of the screen.  All holds must be cleared prior to registering.

What information can your advisor provide?

Your advisor should be able to answer the following questions:

  • Which general education courses do I have left?
  • Which courses should I take next in my major?
  • Is this a good major for me?
  • How long will it take me to graduate?
  • What jobs are available for graduates with this major?
  • Should I take this course for credit/no credit or a letter grade?
  • Should I drop, withdraw and/or repeat this course?
  • How many semester hours should I be taking this semester to graduate in four years?
  • How many semester hours does it take to graduate?
  • When will I be ready to take upper division coursework?
  • What about internship positions in this major? How can I get one?
  • What graduate schools do you recommend for my area of study?

Can I register for a course when I haven’t met the prerequisite?

No. La Verne’s student system won’t allow the Registrar to register you for that course. In most instances the instructor can approve you to take the course and enter an override in the system for you.

What does catalog term mean?

Catalog term indicates the year you entered La Verne. You will be held to the general education and major program requirements stated in that catalog.

Can I meet some requirements under one catalog term and others under a different one?

No. If you wish to follow a catalog different than the year you came in, you can change the catalog or record, but you must follow all General Education and major requirements from a single catalog.

Can I get credit for AP testing?

With a test score of 3 or above for most AP exams; you can receive credit by having the College Board send the Office of the Registrar an official transcript of your scores. Some AP exams with the necessary test score can substitute for a general education requirement; however, if your particular exam does not earn subject credit, it can still count as elective credit toward the 128 semester hours you need to graduate. Please see the Office of the Registrar for details.

Must I take placement tests? Even if I took them at another institution?

Yes, upon admission to La Verne, every freshman student is required to take La Verne’s English and math placement tests unless they have taken an equivalent course for college level English or math or have met a minimum SAT score. Some AP exams with the appropriate score can be considered equivalent. Transfer students must also have taken college level English, math or foreign language to be waived from placement testing. Students are also strongly encouraged to take the foreign language placement test (some majors may require placement test in a foreign language prior to first registration).  Students may also be required to take a Math placement test in order to take additional math classes beyond those required for GE.

If I’m continuing in a foreign language I took in high school should I take the foreign language placement exam?

By all means, it will be in your best interest to take the foreign language placement exam. You might place into the second semester of the foreign language or waive out of the requirement all together. If you plan to major or minor in that language or if foreign language is a requirement in your chosen major, the placement exam will place you into the appropriate course level based upon your results.  The old adage “use it or lose it” reigns true in foreign languages and is supported in studies on language acquisition.  Thus, it is always best to test early and place higher (or out by examination) than to delay it and have it become an obstacle to degree completion.

Is it true that I won’t receive credit for some courses I passed?

You may not receive credit for all courses taken at other colleges for example, remedial courses (courses that are not college level, usually 099 level or below), and courses in which you received less than a “C-.” For vocational and assessment coursework refer to the catalog section Transfer Credit for Undergraduate Students, Other Transfer Credit.

Who decides what transfer courses can earn major credit at La Verne?

The University Registrar will articulate approved courses that are not used for general education as electives toward the degree.  Courses that are identified as electives might be eligible for major credit.  The acceptance of transfer work in the major is determined by the major department.  If you’d like to have your transfer work reviewed for major applicability, please contact your major department, prior to your initial registration, if possible, or within your first semester at La Verne. All requests for major applicability should include supporting documentation such as course descriptions and syllabi, and the University of La Verne “Major Course Substitution or Waiver Form,” which can be downloaded and taken when you meet with your academic advisor, here.

I want to “challenge” the Writing requirement, what should I do?

The Writing Program has clear policies concerning placement into writing courses and how students may challenge LVWA or LVWB (College Writing A or B, respectively) in the Critical Skills section of General Education.

I placed into, then completed the second semester writing requirement at another college, do I have to complete the first semester college writing course at La Verne?

Placement and completion in the second semester college writing course (Written Communication B) in transfer does not waive the Written Communication A requirement at the University of La Verne. Students must enroll and successfully complete the Written Communication A (WRT 110) or its equivalent to fulfill the LVWA GE requirement. They may also opt to take the WRT 110 challenge/certification exam; if successful, fulfillment of this GE requirement will be noted in their transcript.

What is a residence requirement?

There are residence requirements for all students. What is applicable for you depends on whether you are following The La Verne General Education, GE Track I (Fall 2008-Later) or GE Track II (prior to Fall 2008). Students should refer to their catalog for details.